Good value potato crisps

In their everyday value line tescos have some crisps at 66p for 12 bags ok each bag is only 18g but if you take two bags then you've got 6 bags equivalent for 11p a bag. Ingredients are only potatoes sunflower oil and sale so very wholesome. Compared to walkers which are over 50p for a 32g bag and cooked in a mixture of oils its' surprisingly good value.

Reply to
Tomin Dotsson

Dont be surprised if its walkers that make them.

Reply to
ss
.

I prefer cheap crisps!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Do they do them in roast horse flavour?

Reply to
John Rumm

I make my own: but that is probably OT for this newsgroup.

Reply to
Judith

You can make fat free ones in the microwave, very easy. Timing is critical.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

But fat is good for you now, hadn't you heard? It's the potato which is bad for you! ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

/Some/ fat is essential. It can also lower cholesterol, and improve some medical conditions. OTOH, as we all know...

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Though potatoes have more vitamin C than tomatoes, blueberries, grapes, cherries, apples, ...

Reply to
polygonum

Or you could eat brussels sprouts instead.

The only reason to make your own crisps is that you can use lard or dripping instead of the vegetable oils that the commercial ones now use.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

No - that is not the only reason. I'd add taste and freshness.

Also, crisps with only oil and spuds quite possibly oxidise quickly (i.e. go rancid). Whether that is before you buy and eat them... Most such product have at least some anti-oxidant content to address that problem.

Reply to
polygonum

Though potatoes have more vitamin C than tomatoes, blueberries, grapes, cherries, apples, ... /q

Tho at 70deg C during cooking all that vit C will degrade....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK