Good smoke detector?

You mean a different model is £9... what is that supposed to prove?

Reply to
John Rumm

I've lost the will to live...

Feels like the only thing we've proved that Kidde alarms and powers of three are spookily interconnected especially if you want three of them.

Reply to
polygonum

I bet dx.com do cheap chinese copies for £3....

And Russ Andrews probably does them with perfect pitch (and platimum plated with oxygen free LEDs) for £2187...

Reply to
Bob Eager

They have a warranty, use if needed, simple as that.

...because CPC =3D E =3D Earth and can NOT be used for anything else.

Interlinked Alarms tend need 3C+E, Live + Neutral + Earth + Interlink.

It costs little for 50m of 6243YH 1.5mm (I prefer 1.5mm re more robust but = obviously 1.0mm is electrically perfectly adequate). Smoke circuit should b= e supplied off a well used lighting circuit (hall) or off a dedicated final= circuit. I actually prefer hall lights & smokes on their own circuit, that= way even if up or down lighting fail the hall (stairs) are always accessib= le. Can use a relay unit to turn ON the hall lights too, quite useful if th= e smokes are sounding, just me being different.

We need more of those... auditing government and pretty much everything.

Reply to
js.b1

Very good :-)

Reply to
polygonum

You mean should. It most certainly can.

Then interlink on the Earth. It's inside the outer sleeve, it's protected against fingers.

Why would a plastic alarm need an earth?

obviously 1.0mm is electrically perfectly adequate).

I use what's lying in my box of left over wire. Or in this case the four core flex that's already been put in as a universal future proofing so I don't have to dig the trench with the heating pipes in it again (especially as it's got a hedge over it now).

off a dedicated final circuit. I actually prefer hall lights & smokes on their own circuit, that way even if up or down lighting fail the hall (stairs) are always accessible. Can use a relay unit to turn ON the hall lights too, quite useful if the smokes are sounding, just me being different.

And a worry wart!

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

You can not use the uninsulated CPC in FTE as anything but the CPC, that is why it is uninsulated.

The interlinking signal can be at LV, mains voltage level; it need not be SELV. Someone coming across a damaged CPC elsewhere which is UNINSULATED may not be aware, nor should they be aware, that it is carrying at LV potential.

Using FTE for interlinking would contravene BS7671, complying with it costs very little - do it properly.

Reply to
js.b1

You're typing to a moron (with a degree).

Reply to
brass monkey

It's when he mentions trench... heating pipes... 4 core flex... hedge...

Aside: I would be very tempted to put the outbuilding smoke on radio in thi= s situation, but am unsure as to whether all smokes would need to have radi= o bases or not (thinking of the Ei system). Avoids anything nasty compromis= ing the reliability of the system re damage to external cable destroying al= l alarms re interlink).

Reply to
js.b1

[...]

Your input is very commendable but you think he cares? I'm sorry but from my previous experience of him, don't waste your time.

Reply to
brass monkey

You really should listen to Adam, he knows what he is talking about.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I will listen to the people with sensible ideas, not the childish trolls= .

I have ordered three =A310 Kidde/Firex mains/alkaline linked smoke alarm= s.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I will listen to the people with sensible ideas, not the childish trolls.

I have ordered three £10 Kidde/Firex mains/alkaline linked smoke alarms.

Are you calling Adam a troll?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Yes, he is posting more childish insults than advice.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I am suggesting that you should not bother with the smokes and live life on the edge.

You have said that you like to take risks. And TBH with your wiring you are taking a risk.

Reply to
ARW

I like to take risks with my life, not my property.

My wiring is fine.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Not the circuits in your brain.

Reply to
ARW

Stating such things without clear reasoning makes you look very childish= .

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott