Good smoke detector?

The Kings Cross fire led to the use of LSZH cabling for certain jobs. And it is a bastard to work with.

Reply to
ARW

Health and safety gets in the way of everything. It will be the UK's downfall.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

The experts aren't there RIGHT NOW, before the fire gets worse. I'll deal with it myself.

The stupidest thing I heard was a ruling at my work to "not use a fire extinguisher to put out a fire unless it blocks your exit". So stuff anyone else who might walk along the same route as you later. We ignored the rule.

Overkill. All my doors are open at night (and through the day), with one detector in the hall (and one in the loft). Except my bedroom door so I can't hear the fridge running, and so the cockatiels don't fly out.

It's always the thing you don't think of. However I'd never have a fireplace!

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

No.

Reply to
John Williamson

Yes, the sick jokes are the best.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Is it really safer to close all internal doors?

I can understand that it probably is in larger properties - but in smaller places, I am not convinced. Not that I am not willing to be convinced - but it strikes me that with open doors a very minor smell is likely to be noticed quite quickly and readily. (Obviously assuming the residents do have working sense of smell, are actually in the property at the time, etc.) And that fast noticing might be the trump card?

Reply to
polygonum

I tend to work on the principle that if I'm asleep I won't smell the smoke until it is too late, but all the interlinked detectors will. So unless the fire is in the bedroom I should have a smoke free room to wake up in when the detectors sound.

Reply to
Bill

I think he meant that retailer was a rip off, kidde mains alarms are available for less than a tenner...he got a price of £81 and he needs three, £243 is a lot of money when you can get the same make for £27 delivered.

Reply to
Phil L

The £81 he quoted was for 3 units. £27 each.

Reply to
John Williamson

That's why it's a rip off, kidde ones are £9 each making it £27 in total

Reply to
Phil L

Link?

That is the price for three.

TLC want 22.50 ex vat for the ionisation, mains powered interlinked one with a lithium battery backup.

Reply to
John Rumm

Instead of everyone jumping on the safety V tightwad bandwagon, they could have just offered the advice requested, namely a reputable make, interconnectable and mains powered. This emerged as kidde/firex with a 6 year warranty. They're available here for £8.99 delivered:

someone had offered this advice earlier when the OP stated he was on a budget, then a lot of vitriol could have been avoided...I thought this group was here to help rather than sit in judgement, obviously I was wrong.

Reply to
Phil L

he asked for:

mains powered interconnectable decent brand

I think this kidde model fits all three criteria

Reply to
Phil L

So it has a battery that lasts for 10 years?

Like for like are the important words.

Reply to
ARW

Ei, which can be had at a reasonable price on Ebay if you are feeling tight= (but assume the alkaline battery has a few years reduced life). Alkaline i= s fine, but lithium is better. I have the older mains w/ alkaline backup in= terlinked since circa 1990-1992, a few have been replaced now re expiry dat= e, no false alarms.

I would not use Kidde from false alarm experience of their CO detectors (so= me are ok, the digital LCD ones a PITA).

You absolutely must use 3C+E (6243YH) for interlinking the alarms - or the = expensive radio system which I shy away from, would rather put the $ into a= good Chubb or Gloria CO2 + Foam extinguisher on each floor level than radi= o. Do not use FTE (2C+E) and sleeve the earth wire because it is a) against= BS7671 b) stupid in the extreme and yes I have stumbled across it by someo= ne I paid. TLC do cut lengths of the required cable.

DO include an interlinked alarm under the stairs if you have appliances the= re, such as fridge, freezer, dryer etc.

Reply to
js.b1

What is £27 multiplied by three?

You are are Carol Vorderman AICMFP.

Reply to
ARW

(but assume the alkaline battery has a few years reduced life). Alkaline is fine, but lithium is better. I have the older mains w/ alkaline backup interlinked since circa 1990-1992, a few have been replaced now re expiry date, no false alarms.

are ok, the digital LCD ones a PITA).

Bugger, I've just ordered them from the recommendation of others. Presumably their smoke alarms are ok or everyone wouldn't be recommending them.

expensive radio system which I shy away from, would rather put the $ into a good Chubb or Gloria CO2 + Foam extinguisher on each floor level than radio. Do not use FTE (2C+E) and sleeve the earth wire because it is a) against BS7671 b) stupid in the extreme and yes I have stumbled across it by someone I paid. TLC do cut lengths of the required cable.

Not sure what you mean here. Do the alarms need three connections or four? If they need simply live, neutral, and one interlink wire, then why shouldn't TC+E be enough?

Anyway what I have run to the outbuilding already (to cater for anything I come up with, currently it's just a thermostat) is a bunch of four core flexes.

such as fridge, freezer, dryer etc.

I don't have stairs. Freezer, drier, washing machine in outbuilding with parrots. All rooms in house (except bedroom) have doors left open all the time. Alarm going in hall, and attic, and outbuilding.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

To be fair, they vary a bit in price depending on the detector type. I think the heat rise ones cost more and he may have been looking at those.

Or not.

Reply to
Bob Eager

But that's the alkaline (replaceable battery) version, not the lithium one. What about the £27 one?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Which indeed it does (and its not a bad price either), but its not the model that was linked to originally with a rechargeable battery. So it does not appear to support the OPs claim of "ripoff".

Reply to
John Rumm