good seller for rechargable pp9's batteries?

i.e any reccomends where to get least expensivet PP9 rechargable batteries - appreciated. Checked at Tesco this morning - they don't even sell them....

Reply to
dave

Lidl had hybrid NiMH in packs of 4xAA, 4xAAA, 2xC, 2xD or 1xPP3 for £3/pack last week, you might find a few still gracing the shelves ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

So how does that help the OP??

PP9s are quite hard to find as they are rarely used in modern equipment.

Cheapest solution would possibly be to bundle up 7 AAs and use an old battery as the donor for a connector and a homebrew charger.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I use an 8.4v car nicad pack (7xNicd) and replaced the radio PPX connector with a Tamiya one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK hands up, I misread PP9 as PP3, but I suspect the O/P miswrote PP3 as PP9. Why would anyone expect a PP9 in Tesco, let alone a rechargable one?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are you sure you mean PP9? For PP3 I'd look at 7dayshop but they don't stock any PP9 batteries at all.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

If PP9 is really meant, then RS Components have them for £30.80.

Reply to
charles

Rechargeables at Rapid:-

quid each plus delivery.

Plain Zinc Carbon at Maplins for eight quid.

Reply to
John Williamson

(exc VAT)

There;'s not much call for PP9s nowadays, the last time I used one was for a door bell in the 70s.

Quoite a few people mix PP3 and PP9 up, I thinlk it;s because of teh

9V people automatically think PP9 rather than PP3.
Reply to
whisky-dave

Plain zinc carbon EverReady £3.95 or GP at £3.43 both inc VAT at CPC

Reply to
John

how do you recharge Zinc-Carbon batteries?

Reply to
charles

I like the descriptive text here :-)

Reply to
Mark Bluemel

Not very satisfactorily, usually, though I used to revive them by putting them somewhere warm and dry for a while. I have recharged them to a degree in the dim and distant past to about 10% of their original capacity, although leakage was a problem.

Reply to
John Williamson

Huge apologies - only just got to read replies - I did indeed mean pp3 :-( sorry. I have a battery driven sig gen and every time i turn it on it cost me £3-£4 for a battery as I forget to turn it off! There is no time-out on it or even a power-on led (I WILL fit one now though). As a joke the gen does have a "low battery" indicator... which I never see as it's back in the draw by then - using up the last few mA :-) !

Reply to
dave

Maplin, then. Online or in store.

Reply to
John Williamson

Maplin and RS do rechargeable PP9 batteries.

Reply to
Old Codger

It having been established that the OP meant PP3s, I've bought them from Hong Kong suppliers on eBay with no problems and reasonable delivery times. Check the capacity specs, as they vary.

A technique of "dirty DC" charging has been recommended in the past, but a quick search online didn't find anything. ISTR a charger circuit in Rad Comm a long time ago, but finding the article would be a challenge.

But since those days the cost of proper rechargeables has dropped, and it's hardly worth it.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

:-) But even they don't have the even more forgotten PP6.

Reply to
Scott M

Or the PP4 either...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

dave formulated the question :

Perhaps because such a rechargeable battery would solve a problem which doesn't actually exist.

These type of batteries are really designed for low current long life applications and rechargeables are really only useful for quick discharge /short life applications. Charge 'em up, then flatten 'em style of use.

Might a gel cell be a better choice? Charge them up and they can sit and wait for months before use.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield