good quality reversing camera or bleeper

Funny how most cars with good all round viewing have reversing sensors fitted as standard, while vans that could really benefit from them often don't, and the inevitable prang that they would have prevented, wipes out any saving many times over.

The last time I looked, the Chinese EBay reversing sensors could be had for £7!! Deliveted!!! I wonder of they are any good?

Reply to
Graham.

I'm chary of the Chinese rubbish on ebay and Amazon but would like to install either of these into a new box van we have just acquired. Current driver only has experience of small vans and our insurance bill is high enough as it is.

So any recommendations or warnings ?

Reply to
fred

If you really think Chinese stuff is rubbish, you'll likely have to do without.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think I paid £14 for my set. It's been fitted for 2 or 3 years and works fine.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Amazon has the advantage or reviews, though it does seem to lump reviews for similar products all together. With a little bit of effort you can filter out the poorer quality stuff. The days of "Made in China" being a badge of really cheap tat rubbish are, in general, long gone.

"Bleeper" is that a distance indicator or warning bleeper for people behind the van? Be aware that the distance/object driver warning systems are not infallable, something low and not very broad may well not be "seen" at all. A camera mounted high looking almost vertically down with stupidly wide angle lens(*) maybe a better solution.

Ah but vans are driven by "professional drivers" not some random member of the public who has just about managed to work out the pedal/lever sequences required. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've not found that with either of the bleeper systems on mine. One is factory fit, and the other on the old car DIY fit. But in the rear bumper so as far back as it will go. They are far more likely to tell you to stop when perhaps not needed (swinging into a kerb) than miss something, if properly installed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I said I was chary of Chinese Rubbish,not that all cChinese goods are rubbish. I'd like to see you deny there are Chinese rubbish products out there. Really if you've nothing useful to add .........

Reply to
fred

I'd then ask you how you'd know which Chinese products are good, and which rubbish? So exactly the same as products from anywhere?

Price on Ebay is no guide, as a UK firm may supply the same device at several times the direct one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"seen" at

Reasonably sure that none of the beepers on my cars *reliably* see the 3' high 4" dia recycled plastic bollards in Tesco's car park. If it happens to be central between a sensor pair it's not seen. I shall have a play...

The current car has front and back and display with segments that light up where the object is supposed to be. But the 12" x 8" 5' high stone gate posts when clear of the side but at the corner are indicated as behind. It also beeps high tone for front at the front and low tone for rear at the rear but not from where a single object is. The sound system is, apparently, 5.1 so that has the capabilty.

(*) I forget to fill in the (*) last night. I think some of the cameras mounted on cars to produce a "birds eye" view have weird shaped lenses so they don't see much of the body work but do away from the car. The electronics removes the resultant distortions before display.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Which was the reason I asked the question in the first place, I was hoping to garner useful responses from those with experience of these items so that I might weed out the rubbish.

As I said before. If you've nothing useful to contribute ...............

Reply to
fred

I have a Chinese mobile phone (OPPO Find 7) and it is the best phone I've ever had. Much better than anything at 3 times the price. I've had it 6 months, it also charges up from flat to full in 1 hour. The specs are unbelievable for the price.

Reply to
Bod

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

I've not noticed my sensors (Ford Galaxy) not picking up things, I will have to pay a bit more attention.

Reply to
Chris French

So tell us which makes you're considering.

Just keep your posts to the point, then.

Your comment about Chinese stuff shows you know nothing about the subject. But are attempting to imply you do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've not with either of mine. Far more likely to bleep at something that doesn't actually matter than not to something which does. So sort of fail safe. But it will depend on the sensors being well sited.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All this just goes to show your inability to read and understand the Queen's English.

I've already tried to convey to you the error you made in misconstruing my comment on Chinese products. It's getting too tedious having to keep educating you.

I requested assistance in selecting a product and expressed the concern I had with Chinese rubbish. (i.e) I was seeking assistance in avoiding this Chinese rubbish. I did NOT state that all Chinese products were rubbish.

Obviously if I was fully au-fait with the products I would not be seeking assistance.Its ludicrous to say I was trying to imply I was knowledgeable of the stuff. We back to your problem with understanding plain English.

After numerous postings you still have failed add anything useful to the thread. So please desist. If you have nothing useful to contribute then ...........

Reply to
fred

You buy a new vehicle not properly specified for your needs - or rather not equipped for what you think its driver will need - and reckon I need educating?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
The Todal

Ahh but we are in the process of bringing it up to spec. That's what its all about. Simple really. Beats me how you hadn't grasped it.

You seem to prefer to apply your own twisted interpretation to what was said.

And again, STILL nothing useful added to the thread.

Tedious.

Reply to
fred

You do realise that by replying to something you consider adds nothing useful to the thread you are adding nothing useful to the thread?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You do realise that by replying to something you consider adds nothing useful to the thread you are adding nothing useful to the thread?

Touche.

Finally seen the error of youtr ways ?

Reply to
fred