Good Old Chainsaw Q again (Petrol)

I've been talking to the local forestry about collecting firewood after they have done a "clear fell" and can obtain a permit for a very reasonable cost, the question now is of a petrol chainsaw !
Been thinking of the McCulloch Mac Cat 335. Need a saw to dress and cut prev felled timber that the machinery has not removed. Prob 8" or less in diameter.
Anyone currently using a Mac Cat 335 for a similar purpose OR got any adverse comment on the model in general ?
Also thought about the B&Q Performance Power PRO38CCCSA 38cc Petrol Chainsaw, any comments, good or bad.
Regards
Col
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:34:34 +0100, "Colin Forsyth"

If it's a commercial woodland, you'll probably also need a chainsaw cert, or their insurers will throw a wobbly.
-- Smert' spamionam
Colin Forsyth wrote:

I got a small stihl. Fabulous, tho it has developed an inability to cut itself off - can't move the lever to the off position :-)
Also needs a sharpen or new chain after 18 moths of very heavy abuse.
Its not that mucxh more than a cheapo from teh sheds, but it works - and goes on working, and is a fully supported product.
Highly recommended.

they
cost,
Snipped
I've been using MAC 335 for a couple of years now in my garden, I've chopped maybe 20 trees with it up to 20inch diameter, no problem as long as you keep the chain sharp. Oh if you need to get a new chain the Electric MAC335 has a different chain to that on the Petrol MAC335!!!
The Q
Husquavana, stihl and makita are good makes, and the previous poster whos chain lasted 18 months without sharpening get a chain like his. what price is the mac you are thinking of, I do not know where you are are but locally to me 34cc Husqui brand new in the box from a local dealer. Also think about ear muffs , goggles, chain snagging trosers and mits and steel toe cap boots, and if you deep in the woods, petrol 2 stroke and chain saw oil, chain file and possibly a few fools if chain comes loose. You might also think about a log splitter and somewhere to store the timber for 12 months as you do not want to burn green wood as it will tar your chimney or flue, unless it is lime which is really the only green wood i would burn, and remember only a plonker burns conker. But at the end of the day sitting in front of a wood fire , the fruits of your own back breakig labour, nothing better.
Wheelbarrowbob wrote:

Stihl comes with most of teh bits to kep the saw going, and teh most useful thing *I* bought was a petrol can that comes with a second compartment for chain oil. That means you always hve cahin oil to fill up with as well as the pteroil mix.
I also got some Stihl 2-strke oil cos THAT comes with a handy measure to help you make up the 2-stroke mix. Just put the right amnount of oil in the main can, fuill up with petrol and slosh around. Then back to work...

agreed.

whos chain

the mac

34cc
and steel

saw oil,

timber for

chimney or

burn, and

of your

Did you get your threads confused ? This look like a different conversation ?
:-)
Col

Don't know the Cat 35 but I am v pleased with the Stihl I have been using for a couple of years. Excellent machine.

Having had an accident with a B&Q SDS drill [850W, no clutch!!!], I wouldn't dream of using a B&Q chainsaw. Life is short enough as it is.
--
roger
delete x's to email