Good DIY Books

Can anyone recommend any good DIY books. I've never done any DIY so I need something really basic.

James

Reply to
James Read

something really basic.

Since you've come to uk.d-i-y, why not start with our Wiki

It's free!

Reply to
Roger Mills

The large publishers each have a DIY 'bible'.

My first one was the Reader's Digest one [1]. Fantastic. Kept me busy for years. I've peeked in the current edition and they've changed the layout of the text which makes it harder to read, but all the information is still in there.

The next one I got was the Collins one [2], which I got because it covered some topics not in the RD. Also very good and I suspect if I'd had it first I'd be just as happy as with the RD.

Recently I picked up the Dorling Kindersley one [3] at a charity shop. I've not looked at it much but not impressed so far. Some of the stuff on wiring is pretty bizarre.

[1]
[2]
[3]
Alexander Lamaison

something really basic.

I've not been that impressed by the quality of diy books generally. I can recommend checking out the wiki, and this newsgroup, for a wide ranging intro to whatever areas are of interest.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

something really basic.

The B&Q one isn't bad, apart from the "use a B&Q hammer to knock a B&Q nail into a piece of B&Q timber".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Agreed, you wouldn't want to use a piece of B&Q timber. But what's wrong with their hammers?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

d something really basic.

If you have an older house, one contemporaneous with the house. It will tell you how to rehang the sash windows and where the gas pipes for the lights might run.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

eed something really basic.

Yes, they can be a lot more down to earth and address what you need to know . But also can be out of date to the point of wrong and in some cases dange rous.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

ow. But also can be out of date to the point of wrong and in some cases dan gerous.

And it can be difficult getting all the nasty chemicals they suggest you may wish to adorn your house, wife and children with.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They sell one for £3:48.

The Medway Handyman

Is that too much? Too little? The wrong colour?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I should imagine its bloody dangerous at such a low price.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

None of the reviews mention any eyes or limbs lost as a result of its use.

I'm sure it's up to putting in a few picture hooks in a soft plaster wall.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If its the same one I have its perfectly OK. Its a knock off of the old stanley steel shafted hammer.

The head isn't over hardened and it will pull big nails with the claw. What else does a chippies hammer need to do?

Reply to
dennis

But also can be out of date to the point of wrong and in some cases dangerous.

I read a 1950s gardening book that recommended putting mercury compounds into each little trench before putting the veg seed in. Some peoples gardens are probably quite toxic.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

something really basic.

recommend checking out the wiki, and this newsgroup, for a wide ranging intro to whatever areas are of interest.

If you have a good public library (if they haven't all been closed) you may be able to browse through a selection of DIY books to see which is most helpful/up-to-date/contains information on older stuff.

Reply to
Windmill