Good deal on the only tool any of us really needs.....

I had an urgent need to acquire a new angle grinder yesterday, not long before shop closing time. Shot round to my local Wickes: Their bog standard AG is 40 quid, but they had a Makita on special on the counter for 50. I thought "It's nearly Christmas, why not?", having been quite impressed by the Makita drill I bought a few months ago.

Getting home, I was pleasantly surprised to find it also included 2 disks, one of which is a segmented diamond cutter. Overall then, I was pretty pleased - a decent one instead of a cheapo and, with the case and disks, enough extra stuff to justify the extra tenner, even disregarding the difference in quality.

Oh, and it also ripped through the job I needed it for (using a cheapo Lidl diamond disk), which was a tough bit of concrete that a tradesman had earlier told me I would have trouble with. There certainly is something good about using quality tools.

Just thought people might like to know in case anyone's thinking of asking Santa for one and need directions for his little helpers....

Reply to
GMM

Does it come with ear defenders for you all the neighbours and the dog as well? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You're being very cruel to DIYers! I have 2 cheap AGs that get very little use so I do NOT need a Makita! I do NOT need a Makita! I do NOT need a Makita!...a. i.

Reply to
PeterC

PeterC explained :

I've got a Makita :-)

I only buy the good tools, when I'll be expecting to get a lot of regular use from them - I use the battery drill all the time, so I bought a Makita. Almost everything else is Aldi/Lidl specials or medium quality stuff.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

ROFL

I have a big one plus four small ones to reduce the hassle in swapping: one for sanding, one with a wire brush, one a diamond disk, and one with either a cutting or a grinding disk.......DAMN

Reply to
Newshound

I've found cheap AG's a bit hit and miss - I bought a Ryobi when I first moved to the US just so I had something, figuring I'd replace it with something good when it broke within a few months. Four years later and it's still going, and it sees a lot of use. At the other end of the scale though, one that I had in the UK (I think it might have been a B+D) the spindle lock ripped right out of the body after only a few times of changing the disc.

Perhaps there are two distinct classes of cheap power tools - those that are made out of snot, and those which are robust but not built to particularly tight tolerances (the latter not being an issue on an AG)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Of course you do and, more importantly, you want one.........

Reply to
GMM

didn't have time to closely consider the market, so I was pleased to find this one. From the few good tools I have, I know there is a different feel that you get when you buy quality. I can confirm that the huge cloud of dust it kicks out still takes just as much cleaning up however, regardless of how elegantly it was created.....

Reply to
GMM

Wonder what happened to the Makita built 'Site' brand from Screwfix?

I've got one & its brill.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Vanished. Shame, they were really good. If anyone finds another source, please let us all know.

Reply to
Andy Dingley