Good carpet cleaning machine.

Hi there,

What would you recommend as a good replacement when we have to replace our Vax carpet washer?

I'm after something more solid and was looking at the Numatic George, cleanstore have one which comes with only the shampooing kit.

I was wondering if anyone has used a George before and if so how well did it work for you?

What is considered a good pump pressure as the George only has 27 psi?

Would it be worth getting this one instead of the George?

David

enough to survive in the commercial cleaning market. I'd rate them much higher than any brand name consumer machine.

Pump pressure is a little on the low side, bigger contractors machines use pumps at 100 psi + above. For domestic use its adequate.

Not sure what the difference is between a George & a Charles TBH.

More info

The Medway Handyman

The Charles is a wet and dry machine with no pump to wash carpets.

The second link was a commercial machine, I was wondering if it was significantly better than the George machine.

How is the suction on the Numatic machines? The Vax we have is let down by poor suction, small tanks and a pathetic upholstery tool.

Reply to
David

Sorry, I'm not concentrating :-) I'm not in touch with some of the current models.

I meant to say I wasn't sure what the difference was between a George and a CT370-2.

Looking at Numatics web site it seems the CT370 is designated as a commercial machine, but the full specs aren't given. Not much of a price difference.

Excellent.

down by poor suction, small tanks and a pathetic upholstery tool.

The Numatic George/CT370-2 both have 6L tanks, which again are a little small. The CT470-2 has 11L. Smaller tanks just mean more filling & emptying. Numatic tools are usually very good.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Lol.

That good to hear.

Anything is better than our Vax which has a 2.5 litre recovery tank and a 3.5 litre solution tank!

Oh yes I just checked the pump for the Rug doctor and that too is only about 1 bar.

My dad's shop has a Rug doctor Mighty pro which they rent out, we don't like using it too much because;

a) It has been rented out by a customer b)It has been left in a filthy state by a customer despite the deposit.

They used to have a Large Numatic commercial machine with twin motors, that broke down so it was replaced by a Rug Doctor.

Reply to
David

Try before yo buy - a Hydromist from HSS. Small commercial size but if it is clean before you hire it it is excellent - to buy about 600 GBP plus vat

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

How about a Vax? They have two ranges at present, "large" (vaguely Dyson-esque in appearance) and "small" (looks like a Bissell). Although the small ones have a poor reputation for reliability, the big ones seem to last fine in domestic service. I've got a 124, gf's parents have just bought the next model up to replace a Bissell. I wouldn't regard it as a "hire" machine - far too many plastic catches that are easily broken. However if it's yours and you're not being grossly careless with it, it gets the job done and cleans well. They're listing at 200 quid, but both of these were nearer =A3100, by keeping an eye out for specials.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Agreed. Vax =3D cr*p for washing carpets and very amateurish build quality. I even felt embarrased taking it to the tip to join the army of Dysons there! I bought a George from somewhere similar online and was able to specify one in yellow, because I could ;-) They also had a great deal which included two big bottles of commercial cleaning solution for around =A3150 afair . My local vacuum shop couldn't get anywhere near the online prices and they did try to scare me by saying it would be old stock and thus out of manufacturer warranty?!

Carpet cleaning actually does work with George and the upholstery tool is great for cleaning stairs. Suction is good as you would expect with numatic and carpets are soon dry although I do use a dehumidifier to speed that up. Emptying the container with the dirty water is very easy as it has a bucket style handle.

I seem to recall the Vax had plastic tube for the wand and you could end up with a right bender if you tried to apply pressure to help suck up water, whereas the George tube is all metal. I would definitely say you won't regret buying one.

One thing I would say is that that when you have it connected with the floor attachment, the flexible tube is extremely taut and pulled off the handle after a bit of use. It was easily fixed with a couple of tie wraps. When you assemble it you will know what I mean.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling

Sounds good but the price is a bit too steep.

Is the Hydromist a self contained unit?

Reply to
David

tter than our Vax which has a 2.5 litre recovery tank

In the tip 90% of the vacuums I seen where Dyson!

And we went to dump a Dyson too.

We have since upgraded to Miele vacuums, we have a cylinder for the upstairs and the new S7 upright downstairs. Both are great vacuums; quiet,easy to use, powerful and best of all very hygienic.

=A0I bought a George from somewhere similar online and

Does the suction lift the carpets up, for e.g. if you were doing a small mat would you have to hold it down?

Thanks for that.

Reply to
David

If its the Hydromist Champ, then yes. If Hydromist Lite, 10 or 20, then no.

The Medway Handyman

We have a Vax 2000 almost 20 years old. Still going strong. Cleans carpets no problems. Sucks water no problems and vacuums carpets and anywhere else with no problems. Although we have an upright for general carpet sweeping. Easier for my wife to push around than a cylinder job.

Reply to
Alang

This one really caught my eye, has a four bar pump too.

David

tanks were?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Here:

David

Mate of mine works for Truvox, I'll ask him what the SP is.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply from my mate; "Hydromist lite not a bad little machine well worth the money( £260 List ) Not designed to be used hour after hour".

The latter means its not for full on commercial use, but well up to domestic use.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ok, thanks.

What machine do you use personally?

Reply to
David

I no longer clean carpets as a business. Currently have one of these;

The Medway Handyman