Going to line my own chimney

Just been quoted 1320 quid to line my chimney and make a register plate.

Going to do it myself, here is my checklist. Please could you point out anything I might be missing - thanks.

(NB. I am not going to have a register plate, just a board - just out of sight up the chimney. What's the best material to use for this?)

Stove pipe, 1m black Fire cement, black 2k Stove pipe 'T' wall bracket adapter stove pipe -> liner liner - 8m double skinned stainless insulation - 4m - not going to insulate all of it

For the top: clamp, sleeve, blanking plate, bird guard

All the above is coming from here:

rope to haul it up. board for register plate - what material shall I use? sharp sand cement

I'm going to borrow a thatcher that I know to do the scary roof climbing bit in exchange for some cash in hand.

Cheers

Nick.

P.S - If you want to email, replace 'bt' with 'azuresolutions'

Reply to
NickW

I should add that it's for a wood burning stove!

140 quid plus VAT for the liner itself... so maybe 300 quid for everything inluding a bit of cash for the thatcher. A saving of a grand?!

Nick

Reply to
NickW

I had exactly the same situation as you. Was quoted over a grand for the install & materials. I worked out the materials were approx £400 - leaving £600 labour. Have a look at

I found them to be cheeper than Flue systems and were also extremely helpful to determine install methods etc.

John

Reply to
John

Multiboard or masterboard, painted black.

Surely your double skinned stainless IS insulated between the skins...mine was...

Yup.

Think about hiring some form of platform up there. I had a z-bend in teh flue. It was easier to drip the flue down than push it up - no room in fireplace etc.

That means a lot of sweating up high. I had full scaffolding at that point - even so it was tricky.

You can hire 'cherrypicker' type platorms for less than you think, if you can park one close enough.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I fed my liner down from the top sitting on the ridge with someone to pull from below. And then used part of an old computer tower case and an old bedframe (angle iron) to make a register plate. I used vermiculite to insulate it, just pour it in.

The recommendatio on the insulation was that I did not need it as the chimney went up the middle of the house with no outside wall to it.

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Reply to
Lawrence

You'll want the pointed thing that you stick on the end of the liner to drag it up the chimney. The liner can get stuck without it. I didn't bother with one and ended up having to make one. I used

, possibly the most helpful supplier I have ever come across.

Reply to
Andy

[snip]

Surely not, because the government assures us that if we stop messing with things we don't understand and leave it all up to professionals like him, then our houses will be safer.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, closure plate goes on top of the chimney, register plate goes just above the stove to seal the chimney off from the room.

Nick

Reply to
NickW

You are misquoting the governments position (at least, according to the new part P of the building regulations involving electrical installation work).

Their position is that some 35 lives will be saved each year. The funny thing is that according to my statistical analysis of the reports on the RoSPA web site there are only 8 lives per year being lost presently.

So government intervention isn't going to make our houses safer at all. It is instead going to save far more lives than are being lost.

Credit where credit is due I think.

PoP

Reply to
PoP