Going round the bend...

A real 'U' bend has (or should have!) a smooth flow - one formed from elbows would have severe restrictions and would definitely not work correctly. Even a bottle trap is designed to give some sort of a consistent flow.

Swept elbows might be a bit better, but avoid sharp 90 degree ones.

I've used elbows in a drain system, but only in a general 'downward' direction

I'd advise that if you carry out the work as they 'suggest', get them to sign a disclaimer regarding its subsequent performance.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , The Wanderer writes

Same with me, it couldn't be that there are loads of piss poor plumbers out there could it?

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Wasn't thinking about compression of air - but that is another thing to think about!

In a normal trap even turning on the tap for s few seconds will cause enough flow to replace all the water in the trap. So the foetid nasty yuck gets taken towards the sewer. In the version you describe, a few ounces of water entering the start of the super-trap will merely displace the same amount from the far end. The majority of the water in the trap will remain. The (relatively) fresh stuff will simply mix with the yuck that is already there. Such yuck is very attractive to bacteria which can form mats of blocking material.

Reply to
Rod

Could you run the pipe through the wall at the back, then back through the wall at the other end?

Reply to
chudford

How is the waste arranged at present?

Could they get an oven that's not quite so deep? Then run the waste in the normal way.

Or mount the sink higher up and run the waste above the worktop. That'd be nice. You'd need a small step or two up, maybe a bible stand, and could give short cermons there too, or even baptisms.

Reply to
Grumps

Walk away or if you do it, move house and go ex-directory. Jobs such as that will come back to bite you again and again.

Reply to
Mike

especially as its in a church where someone who doesnt know about the long pipe at a fraught wedding catering do will pour hot custard or soup down it then leave it to set...

When it overflows where will the water go, will it go down a drain or into the main room destroying carpets etc?

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

There's no siphon effect cos the exit into the soil pipe is higher than the body of water.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

On 19 Jan, 20:27, "The Medway Handyman" wrote: ...

It would work up until the point when it didn't :-)

Others have already discussed the issues, I'd add that :-

a) Sods law applies and any failure would be at the worst possible time b) From your description, access to resolve the problem could well be difficult

Ignore the suggestions that you do it but give a disclaimer - that's a recipe for later arguments and loss of goodwill. If you implement it, you will be asked to fix it when it breaks.

My recommendation is that you suggest one or more workable solutions - others have suggested a few - and if the church won't accept one of them, politely decline the job.

Reply to
mark_bluemel

I didn't know gods had timers inside with spade connectors. Lower tech than one might have expected.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

No, but the Devil is in the detail...

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Trouble with Godbotherers, they probably expect a miracle.

Reply to
John Stumbles

See you later, macerator....

Reply to