Going rate for boxing day repair.

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 14:43:41 -0000, "John Stumbles"

Then there's dentists. For dental work the NHS only pays part of the cost. You have to be registered, which means paying for regular checkups, otherwise you cannot obtain treatment from them. Imagine the press coverage if plumbers worked like that.
"We will only clear your choked drains if you are a registered customer, which means you have to pay us to check your drains every 3 months." Nice deal.
--
Niall

As the man in the plumbing magazine[1] said the other day: "Dentists are manual workers. If plumbers had clean hands, charged more and took skiing holidays maybe they'd have more repect from the public" :-)
[1] Roger Risby in that plumbing mag you get free at trade counters. Quiet a good read actually. Or have I just become _very_ sad? :-/
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-|-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ Pessimists are never disappointed
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 02:51:24 -0000, "John Stumbles"

We should vote on that? ;)
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!

I abstain ;->
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-|-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ No Rules, OK

You're not sad, in any of its interpretations (although I still can't understand the modern one).
Mary

recto-colonal surgeons are probably closer to plumbers than Dentists, in more ways than one.

--
Andrew

On a normal BH at least double normal hourly rate. At Xmas probably 2.5 or 3 times. Although not the same industry I used to charge double time for "out of hours" ie. after 5pm and triple at weekends. I worked on boxing day one year,when they got the bill they never asked me to do it again!
All plus parts of course.
Tony
Ed Sirett wrote:

Triple normal time for labour and parts+VAT.
If he/you didn't have the parts in the van what are the chances of finding a plumbing supply shop/warehouse open, then it would probably be a part from a shed, even more cost.
--
Yours S.
addy not usable (not that you would try it)

I would expect to pay at least 200 plus parts .
MrCheerful
I wonder what the premium rate was for the shop workers who had no choice but to work on Boxing Day because this sad nation thinks that shopping is a good way to spend holidays.
I would suggest that if Ed gave adequate information before accepting the job that 150 + parts is reasonable.
--

Regards

John

"MrCheerful" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I'd DIY
However, this is a unique time of year and anyone expecting to get anything like a normal rate for dragging someone away from family and friends over xmas / boxing day is in another world
--
geoff

Depending on how much work you`d like from word-of-mouth, adjust accordingly :-}
Didn`t you give them a price at the time ?
What if they argue you`re overcharging them now ?
"The Ghost of Christmas Present " Spoke

I hope you included the Cab fare. You should never drink & drive!

What price experience?

Sorry Madam/Sir, every things shut (Chrimbo you know), I'll go & wait outside B&Q. (Doff the hat in deference)

Well Cinders, it is Panto season ;-))

Oh the joy of being 'self employed'
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 02:38:04 +0000, Boaz wrote:

Thanks to all who replied. I got the call on Christmas day (bloody cheek) so had to wait till Boxing day to sober up but also since MIL and SWMBO would have gone orbital and the subject would have risen to story status.
I actually charged 160 but the pump was not quite new (it had had 3 weeks use before being recycled - it was too good to throw basically.) The tenant had been asking the Landlord to fix the heating for some weeks due to excessive noise. But every one he asked, wanted to fit a new boiler (to replace the Suprima - so not _totally_ without reason).
I expect I'll have another satisfied customer from this trip.
Anyway If I get any lip from the family about working at Xmas I can say I charged the right amount.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Good. And if they argue send 'em round here ...
Mary

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:35:59 +0000, "Ed Sirett"
yed'

I think that you were more than fair, actually, Ed.
However if you get some repeat business, it will have been worth it.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:03:38 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

Quite, as soon as he needs to take out the scrap metal who is he going to ask?
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk