Going rate for boxing day repair.

Page 3 of 5  


for
Can you expand on that for me please Ed?
Dave
See an earlier post of mine today, on the same point.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well, it's all been resolved now by Our Glorious Leader and we're back to how things were before.
Mary

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:21:51 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

Really? I'm sure the fire brigade union would not agree. And I haven't seen any reports of beer and sandwiches at number 10 involving the unions either.
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Sorry, you couldn't see the tongue in my cheek ...
:-^
... or are you emphasising my point?
;-)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 20:34:18 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

That would suggest mental thought processes. Must be another explanation.... ;)
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I have an interest here, which I wont bore you with :-) Can you define what they mean by 'head of household' or was the wording something along the lines of 'person responsible' or 'responsible person' as is used when applying the 'council tax'?
TIA
Dave
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

AFAIR the threatening letter used the term "head of household" and that as far as I could tell translated to "man". At that time my wife earned about 2x what I earned, so it couldn't have been based on economic contribution to the family budget.
--
Having problems understanding usenet? Or do you simply need help but
are getting unhelpful answers? Subscribe to: uk.net.beginners for
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

person' as

That says more about your attitude than anything else.
Mary
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Au contraire, your comment speaks volumes about your perceptions and preconceptions. If "head of household" did not mean "man" then why was I (the man) pursued for payment and not the person I regard as head of household?
You snipped the part where I pointed out which of us was the breadwinner - was that because it made your knee-jerk stupidity less obvious?
--
Having problems understanding usenet? Or do you simply need help but
are getting unhelpful answers? Subscribe to: uk.net.beginners for
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

that
I wasn't pursuing you so it's silly to ask me.

No, it's because I was replying to one particular point. Read your own comment again - 'AFAIR ... as far as I could tell translated to "man"'.
You translated "HoH" as "man", that says a lot about your attitude.

Over and out.
Mary
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I didn't say you were, it's mind-rottingly stupid to imply that I was. I was clarifying the process by which I came to my interpretation.

ANd it did have the inconvenient tendency to make your comment look like the knee-jerk stupidity that it was, so you decided to omit it.

Not when read in context. Don't you get tired of having a permanent nose-bleed from all those knee-jerks?

I wish, I await your next fatuous, empty-headed comment.
--
Having problems understanding usenet? Or do you simply need help but
are getting unhelpful answers? Subscribe to: uk.net.beginners for
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

<snip articulate and well thought out argument)

Possibly.
I've had to browbeat Spouse to allow more than 30 a day for his (skilled) labour alone.
This morning he's reluctantly agreed to be more realistic from this year.
We all choose what to charge and what to spend on what goods and services we provide and purchase.
We, the Fishers, wouldn't pay a gas fitter to do that job because Spouse can do it himself and because we can't justify the expenditure. But I don't feel that Ed's price was high for the circumstances, as someone else said, the job wasn't life-threatengly urgent. Very few are.
Mary
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If you stuff your car into a solid object on Xmas day, tip hot Turkey fat over your toes, come a cropper on your skiing holiday during your 14 day break (typical for most city offices) you will be glad that our paramedic friend will cart you off to hospital where, depending on what sort of hospital it is (Teaching or 'the rest') you will receive, at no extra cost to yourself the undivided attention of a lot of highly trained (Teaching hospital) or not so highly trained (the rest), but by your standards, appallingly badly paid experts.

--
Andrew

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Eventually........
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
writes

said,
We don't drive on Christmas Day - or other bank holidays if we can avoid it.

Turkeys don't have fat and we don't eat it anyway and if we did tip hot fat on our toes we'd deal with it ourselves.
Oh yes we would! I've even put a plaster cast on a son's broken arm because he refused to go to A&E.

Oh come on! A skiiing holiday??? The Fishers??????????
Come to that - a holiday? We had eleven days on the Isle of Arran in a tiny and primitive caravan round 9/11, the nearest thing to a holiday we've had.

I am very aware of how poorly paid are paramedics, believe me. We have one in the family. Not so sure about the undivided attention bit but that's unimportant. We try NOT to use ambulances, we try not to go to A&E, we have enough skills in the family to treat most things ourselves.
I don't really understand your point.
Come to think of it, accidents on most skiing holidays wouldn't involve British paramedics ...
Mary
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

When I first started work for BBC TV working on Boxing Day and New Year's day were commonplace, since these are busy days sports wise. And there was no extra payment involved. You were, however, given a number of 'extra' days leave equal to the number of bank holidays. Only the BBC would consider *one* day off the equal to working Boxing Day etc with no extra money involved.
Now I'm freelance. A couple of years ago I was asked to work on a live *very* minority shopping type satellite prog on New Years day. I got them up to 1400 quid for a 12 hour shift. And felt no guilt whatsoever.
--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk London SW 12
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Wow, 1400 and only 3 'viewers'.
--
Andrew

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Nice one
--
geoff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Plasterers have a monopoly on plastering. But you do not need an emergency plasterer, hence the price on Boxing Day for someone you do need.
-- Adam
adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.