I know the answer from most of us would "f***ing nowt, I'll fix it myself" OR "get out fan heater, switch on immersion, wait till the end of the festive season".
In particular I'm interested to know a 2 hour job like this would come in at: 15min home to job. 10 minutes diagnose problem as expired pump. 60 minutes [1] exchange pump with unit from in van stock. 20 tidy up , clean up, check for leaks, check correct operation of system. 15 mins home to job.
[1] defective pump isolating valves hence delay.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On boxing day for two hours 140 plus parts & vat

And why not?
Mary
because its a rip off thats why not....
Mary Fisher wrote:

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .

So you'd have been quite content to go into work as usual on Boxing day then

--
geoff

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:25:16 +0000, geoff wrote:

Having done so in the past and been quite happy about it. Yes.
This damn stupid "lets shut the country down for two weeks" is a right PITA. If the country wants that then lets have it and *every one* gets two weeks off, power workers, Police, Fire crews, Ambulance, Radio & TV Outside Broadcast crews and transmission people. Seems to me the only people to benefit are those pushing the bits of paper about increasing the overheads of the real workers.
Says him still waiting for a contract to arrive for the 2 days I did on the 16th/17th Dec at less than 12hrs notice and yes I have phoned 'em up.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

What rubbish. I would say that it is way under-priced given the circumstances.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I had to work Christmas and boxing day for 12 hours, both days. I worked it out and I took home about 150 quid a day. Now bear in mind it was double time, I was out the house for over 13 hours a day, had to use my own transport at my own expense to get to work and don`t get paid travel time. It works out to about 6 an hour. It took me 5 years of hard graft to get where I am and I consider myself skilled and competent at what I do.
Therefore if you ask me if I think its overpriced and perhaps even a rip off I would say yes. Sorry ;-)
IMHO gas fitters have a legal monopoly, it would be nice if I could earn that kind of money, but I can`t in the chosen profession with which I am employed. I do feel that as a profession, gas fitters have a privileged position in that by law they must be used. Not that I disagree with this, but sometimes, it does appear that the prices charged can be laughable.
I do not intend to inflame or insult anyone, its just that I feel that sometimes everyone is just out to screw me. At 140 for 2 hours work, even at double time that's still 35 an hour. Take off 10 an hour for overheads max. That's a damn easy 25 an hour. Including getting paid the same rate for travelling to and from the job.
Is it just me or did I choose the wrong profession. ;-)
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 23:38:13 -0000, "John Woodhall"

I think that there are several things here.
- First of all, there is where the individual sits in terms of remuneration in comparison with others in general. Ignoring the hours worked for a moment, you could justifiably feel aggrieved. However, there are always going to be people who receive more and less for the same number of hours worked. This is a sad or a good fact of life, but I am not sure that it represents a rip-off.
- The second factor is the number of hours that you are expected or choose to work.
- The third is what happens when you are asked to work unsocial hours, e.g. over Christmas. Then the issue is how much more do I get relative to my normal situation for working this period. If you have a situation where you are not getting that much more for this than a regular day, then I suppose you could view that somebody who is being remunerated or remunerating themselves at three to four times their normal rate as ripping off. Again it's relative, though.

I can understand that it must seem like that. I suppose it would seem less so if you sat in the middle of the pay spectrum.

I think that it depends on where you sit. I don't know what the overhead figures are, but don't forget that self employed people have a lot of addiitonal overheads and carry the risk of dead time where they are not making money.
Anybody has the option to go and do the training and become a gas fitter/heating installer. There is a shortage. People have changed career and industry to do it.
There are some statutorily related services performed in the private sector where the state does effect price control - MOT testing is an example - there is a max. fee. However, in that case, the job is very well defined. Taking gas fitting as an example, it would not be practical to have statutorily set prices for installing a boiler for example, because the amount and difficulty of work varies. Fitters would always think that whatever the figure was it was not enough and customers would think it's too much. The only practical solution is to let the market set the pricing.

charge and are able to get 200 per hour. For what they do, I think it's a rip off. Everything is relative.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 23:38:13 -0000, "John Woodhall"

Do you consider you were adequately compensated for what you did?

They don't have a monopoly, they just have to be registered (at a cost no doubt). Anyone is free to get registered and set up charging below the going rate. But they don't. Funny, that...

1000s of % every year. And the guys who administer *that* wouldn't get out of bed for 35 quid an hour in normal working hours.
--
Niall

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 23:38:13 -0000, John Woodhall wrote:

Short days then? No I'm not being sarcastic, I regulary do 13+hr days the norm being 12 for 5 or 6 days on the trot, yes a 60 to 70hr week. Working Time Directive pah!

150 + 20% tax + 7% (I think) NI, + pension, lets say 200 gross. Remember that the amount quoted for our plumber friend would be gross...

This is normal for wage slaves is it not?

Nett. B-) But this is double time so somewhat less than the minimum wage, even going to the rough gross figure it's still less than the minimum wage. Something doesn't add up...

Which is what? Perhaps you are being ripped off by your employer, see above. B-)

IMHO overheads would be more than that, the true cost of a vehicle is about 50p/mile (see the AA site) by the time you have taken into account depreciation, insurance, maintenance, road tax, fuel etc. ISTR that the OP said the travel time was 30 mins in total, average of 30mph so 15 miles at 50p/mile Oh dear 7.50 just to keep the vehicle on the road...
Then you have the cost of public liabilty insurance, equipment insurance, professional indemnity, CORGI membership, oh and tools. I wouldn't expect much change out of 3,000 for the insurance side.

Depends, if you enjoy what you do then then money isn't the reason you do the job. If you don't like it, become a plumber. B-)
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
This thread brings back memories of the early 70's, three day weeks 'comparitive wage' strikes etc. An era which totally p'd me off! I had just finished a six year apprenticeship, having lived on a pittance of a wage, 'knowing' in the long run I wouild be 'earning' only to be met by strikers (cap in hand) begging for contributions (some cases, demanding <miners>). I became totally demoralised & disallusioned, why should I have "educated" myself, only to find I would be earning the same as a 'binman'!
Brad.
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 02:21:35 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

over a period) are under your control.
If you are in an employment contract where the hours are stipulated then working time legislation (such as it is) should apply.
OTOH, if you are self employed or if you are in a management position where you effectively control your own hours then that is a different matter.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 10:19:35 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

When I'm working they are not under my control but I choose when I work, being freelance.

Even if I was staff or long term contract the UK government version of the Working Time Directive allows for workers to "opt out" but doesn't give workers who refuse to "opt out" any real protection...
Yes there are some jobs where "continuity of service", such as the emergency services and *front line* utility supply to essential buildings, hospitals etc (just for example) does mean that particular workers may need to work long hours. But IMHO making television/radio programmes of film production can no way be considered in the same category.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 23:38:13 -0000, John Woodhall wrote:

Short days then? No I'm not being sarcastic, I regulary do 13+hr days the norm being 12 for 5 or 6 days on the trot, yes a 60 to 70hr week. Working Time Directive pah!

150 + 20% tax + 7% (I think) NI, + pension, lets say 200 gross. Remember that the amount quoted for our plumber friend would be gross...

This is normal for wage slaves is it not?

Nett. B-) But this is double time so somewhat less than the minimum wage, even going to the rough gross figure it's still less than the minimum wage. Something doesn't add up...
Yes I agree it is a net figure, but, It is 6.00 an hour single time I was paid double time.
On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 14:27:40 -0000, John Woodhall wrote:

Apologies I missed the switch from quoting actual (in the wallet) amounts to 1T hourly rates and didn't reverse check my maths. Still 6.00 1T isn't a brilliant pay level.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Paramedic. Funny you should say that, as I do feel as if I am being ripped off by my employer. But then again I consider myself on an above average wage where I live. The 6.00 an hour net is a single rate. Which is better than I can get most places.
As someone else has said though, if my soapbox gets too slippery I can always change trades. :-)
On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 14:36:58 -0000, "John Woodhall"

That was probably me rushing out a reply yesterday (I used the word 'soapbox' somewhere yesterday :)).
You have my sympathy. Just under 2 years ago we had the services of a paramedic for my son who broke his femur in a skateboard accident. On that day I would have been happy for the attending medical personnel to be paid 10 times the NMW - after tax.
I wasn't aware that paramedic reward was that low. Sorry to hear that. I suppose paramedic is a trade that you can't really outsource, or maybe I'm wrong - I don't have any knowledge of the employment structure of the medical profession.
BTW, change of topic. As a paramedic have you heard of something called 'Message in a bottle'? I don't want to give any clues because I would like to know whether this is advertised well enough within the emergency services - I'll reveal more later.
PoP

Green sticker in the window or front door, all medication and past medical history in a bottle usually kept in the fridge. Good idea if the relatives aint there.

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 07:47:45 -0000, "John Woodhall"

Excellent, I'm glad you are aware. Could I be really nosey and ask what area of the UK you are in? (Doesn't need to be specific).
I'm aware that the Thames Valley Lions Clubs are pushing this out, not sure about the wider audience in the UK.
In case anyone else is wondering what we are wittering on about:
http://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/july03/3c.htm
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!