Going Rate?

SWMBO wants the hall stairs and landing decorated. I am not opposed to DIY decorating but I am not good with planks, ladders and the like when it comes to the long drops down the stairway. It is a fairly normal hall (10' x 6') with a straight staircase and a landing at the top (12' x 4'), the ceilings are normal height i.e. not the high old type. She wants it wallpapered and I am not confident enough to do the stairs off of a ladder and plank etc. (plus I haven't got a plank)! The wallpaper will have a match (35cm) and the ceilings will be white emulsion. There are 8 doors and a loft hatch to gloss and all the relevant architraves and stair runners. The carpet will not be down as she wants a new one!! I appreciate you haven't seen it but can somebody give me a ball park figure for a decorator to do this job, just so I know if the decorator I ask isn't pulling a fast one? I did think about hiring a tower of some sort but thought the money would be better off put towards a proffesional job and also it would be done quicker.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

£400 - 500 including paint. If you supply your own paper, make sure it is good stuff, otherwise you may be charged more - it is a horrible job trying to put up cheap wallpaper. It would take me most of 4 days to do it properly. Alan.
Reply to
A.Lee

Just in case you can still be persuaded to DIY, I did our stairs and landing with one of these:

solved the access problem easily, and has been useful for all sorts of jobs since - great for older houses with high ceilings.

However, something tells me the access issue is a convenient excuse for 'er indoors.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
martin_pentreath

It solved the access problem easily, and has been useful for all sorts

I've been looking at that sort of thing - is it the same as this one:

it's difficult to tell exactly, especially as it's described as " 4 x 4 rung" but appears to have 6 rungs?

Reply to
PeterC

No, that one looks more sophisticated, in that it can do more permutations, but I think mine is better to work off, because it has a proper (fairly wide) platform with no rungs in it (rather than just a horizontal bit of ladder).

Reply to
martin_pentreath

Yes, working from rungs... But some of these do have platforms and it would be very easy to make a platform - 12mm ply would be more than adequate as it would be supported about every 25cm.

Reply to
PeterC

What sort of nick is it in? Is it currently papered and, if so, will that be easy/hard to strip off? If it's all hunky-dory I'd say =A3500 but you supply the materials, and they'd better be good quality or else!

Reply to
Edward