Gluing perspex - hint

There was a need for a 50mm square of 6mm perspex this afternoon. There pr obably is some in a dark corner somewhere, but all I could find was nominal ly 3mm. Now I know that it's acetone plus perspex bits to make cement, but I was prepared to experiment first particularly as I didn't have any neat acetone - and I've never made perspex cement either.

I've a container of Aldidl's 'Universal Thinner' that certainly smells acet one like (pear drops if I remember correctly) so a couple of drops between suitable pieces plus clamp to a flat surface and 5 minutes later - bingo.

I can't remember if it's Aldis or Lidls that sell this stuff, but it's a ve ry acceptable price and it's now got another plus mark from me.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I've a container of Aldidl's 'Universal Thinner' that certainly smells acetone like (pear drops if I remember correctly) so a couple of drops between suitable pieces plus clamp to a flat surface and 5 minutes later - bingo.

I can't remember if it's Aldis or Lidls that sell this stuff, but it's a very acceptable price and it's now got another plus mark from me.

Rob

Chloroform is the solvent used for perspex. If you can get it.

Reply to
harryagain

I used to make perspex "glue" with a 50/50 mixture of chloroform and ether, thickened up a bit with shavings/drillings of perspex.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

That's what I would have said but, hey, this has worked, hasn't it. Actually "pear drops" implies amyl acetate rather than acetone, and is a pretty good solvent for many plastics, IIRC.

I obviously need to get some of this Universal Thinner!

Reply to
newshound

Or methylene chloride (which also you probably can't get)

Reply to
F Murtz

What about ordinary plumbers solvent weld?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On Saturday 13 July 2013 22:52 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tim Watts

Not as good, that is MEK I think (Methyl ethyl ketone.)

Reply to
F Murtz

Tensol Cement is perspex dissolved in chloroform, for gluing perspex.

If you are simply bonding two flat faces of perspex and don't need any filler, superglue works fine (it's the solvent that does it, rather than the glue part, but that makes no difference).

With both of these (and any other solvent based glues), make sure you don't get any onto any external surfaces you want to remain polished and transparent.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I bought from a local model-shop a bottle of cement which claimed to stick several plastics including perspex. It said it contained methylene chloride.

Reply to
Dave W

Ah, the memories of Airfix canopies with lovely detailed partial prints.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The data sheet doesn't seem to agree with this -

suggests it's dichloromethane. That also agrees with my recollection that the cement sold for model making was basically just dichloromethane, though in that case it relied on dissolving a small amount of the plastic you were joining.

Reply to
docholliday93