Gluing metal to wood.

Hello.

I have some steel which I want to glue to wood. After cleaning up the steel, should I put glue directly on that, or should I prime the steel first? I assume that whichever method is used, roughening the metal is important to give the glue more 'grip' - is this right?

Any help much appreciated.

David Paste.

Reply to
David Paste

David Paste wibbled on Tuesday 20 April 2010 17:50

Rough the metal and use araldite. Primer will only act as one more bond layer that might fail in this case. Araldite loves rough metal.

Reply to
Tim Watts

This is what I was thinking. Excellent, Smithers.

I bet she does.

Cheers Tim.

Reply to
David Paste

This stuff is awesome

David Paste.

I've fixed a leaking sink for a Mr & Mrs Plumb, Changed some sockets for a Mrs Sparks & fitted shelves for Mr & Mrs Handy. And know I know a Mr Paste who wants advice on glue! Great!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Watts saying something like:

I recently hot-glued wood to steel, plastic (ABS) and aluminium. It was only a foot long, by 1/2" and 1" wide, but I was surprised at the bond strength. No sign of any of it failing yet, but it's not really stressed much.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

for it's Hybrid PMS Polymer technology. I like polymer technology, and this hybrid PMS version is sure to set my pulse racing, however I am not sure how pissing myself is going to help the glue - hybrid or otherwise.

Ha! Excellent!

Reply to
David Paste