gluing down carpet on top of old one?

Hi all we have a kitchen/diner area, the diner part of which has an old carpet which we want to replace.

This is in an area of heavy traffic and currently has an old thin pile carpet, which seems to be glued down onto old-fashioned laminate floor tiles.

We're looking at fitting another high-wear carpet - a cord contract-type with a 'gel' backing, also suitable for gluing down. However we wondered if me might get a little extra 'cushion' by gluing this down on top of the old one.

There is only a little pile on the old carpet so I think the glue would attach. The height increase is not an issue as the current area is set a little lower than the surrounding. I have no experience with glued carpets so would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Personally this is not something I would do. The old carpet will no doubt age and start breaking up long before the hardwaring one you are planning to put on top. Then you may find that extra cushioning turns into lumpy hard bits. I'd dump it and if necessary pay for some decent underlay.

Reply to
ac1951