gluing a plastic freezer handle

The other day when I closed the freezer I forgot an item and when I went to lift the lid (Chest freezer) it was stick down due to air pressure. Instead of waiting a few minutes like an idiot I pulled the handle a little harder. Any way the long and short of the story is the plastic handle snapped at the screw joint. My question is what the best and strongest glue to use. I believe normal super glue will not be right in this situation, and the flexible glue I tried failed immediately, Any suggestions

Thanks

Reply to
noname

New handle time

Reply to
RW

From my experience with snapped fridge-freezer handlers, I don't think you will be able to just glue it. The handles have to withstand a lot of force, and no glue I've found is up to the job on its own. On one of the handles that snapped, I ended up drilling holes either side of the break, and pinning it with a bit of metal rod, but you may not have enough handle left to do this. On the other handle that snapped I had to give it up as a bad job, and get a new handle. Actually, the new handle was substantially thicker where it had broken previously, so I suspect it was a common problem with that model.

dan.

Reply to
claudia.towner

Depends on the plastic -- some plastic "glue" very well with acetone as a solvent. (I was told it's not glue, but technically a "diffusion weld"...)

Scrape off the flexible glue, rub surfaces clean with a drop of acetone on a cotton swab. (If the plastic starts to dissolve, i.e. you get a coloured smear on the cotton, it'll work.) put drop of acetone on the surfaces of the plastic, join, wait, press hard, fix and let dry for 24 hours. Good as new!

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Thomas, Thanks the plastic appeared to start to melt, so I have followed your instruction and will now leave it for 24 hours

I have also been looking for a replacement in case this fails, third time lucky and all.

The problem is I cant find a spares supplies for Scandinova, who sell official handles, they only appear to sell universal handles without a lock.

Any recommendation's

Thanks

Reply to
noname