Gluing 4" underground clay pipe

I need to make a new connection into a 4" clay pipe... unfortunately the socket has broken with about 2" of the rim missing.
So, I was thinking of gluing the fractured piece (which is to hand) back in and dropping in a short section of 4" pipe, also 'gluing' that in somehow to make a watertight seal. Thereafter fitting a connecter for110 mm pipe. There is an alternative of cutting off the rim off altogether and fitting the connecter to the section 4" pipe left, but this is very much plan B as this remaining section is very short (<= 1") and if it doesn't work then I'll really be up the proverbial creek...
So, can anyone suggest a suitable adhesive for the purpose of making a stong, watertight joint in clay pipe?. I was thinking of using plastic padding, maybe.
Thanks, Paul.
If I was going to do it ,I would use a silicone adhesive then bind the joint with plaster type bandage.and then set the joint in a mortar bed with a water proof mix.

Epoxy.
--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.

definitely not Plastic padding ... polyesters don't set well, or at all, in damp conditions I'd recommend an epoxy putty like Milliput or similar ... it comes in a range of 4 colours including terracotta which matches terracotta clay. Completely waterproof when set. Sets in wet conditions, even under water!
available from http://www.chronos.ltd.uk
Just go back to the next pipe or build an inspection hatch (manhole) there. It doesn't even have to come to the surface does it? And anyway it wouldn't hurt if it did. Have you ever tried rodding around a bend?
It would save all that.