Glueing t and g pine cladding vs nailing

I recently saw somone on a makeover show glueing t and g pine cladding rather than nailing and wondered if any body has found this successful(in the long term). It would certainly make life easier as i have a lot to do in a bathroom,mainly paneling in the bath and around toilet and vanity unit(which is tiled plywood).

Reply to
housemartin

It's called "matchboard", or "matching".

If you glue the tongues into the grooves you will have horrendous problems with the timber splitting.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I would not glue it as pine (even kiln dried) has a tendency to contract in centrally heated houses. Nailing in the centre of the board width has the advantage that any shrinkage/expansion is taken up in the t&g's.

Others may think different though...

FYI I have had some (unfinished!) pine contract a little in our bathroom, I didn't expect this due to the humidity / condensation ... strange but true.

Nailing doesn't take all that long once you get a rythym going ;-) my shiplap garage (2.5m x 5m x 2m approx) only took a day or two!

HTH,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

You can secret-nail through the tongue at an angle, then you won't see the heads of the pins.

A day or two?!?!?!!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Good idea.

Including cuts around windows etc ... sheesh give us s break ;)!

Reply to
AlexW

And you can also get clips that fit on the bottom part of the tongue and you nail them to the supporting battens .They are then hidden by the tongue of the next piece . usually the first and last piece have to be nailed to the battens Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

I am getting up to 1mm movement summer to winter in the bathroom on T & G pine.

Vile stuff.

SHE likes it though.

I covered it with so much paint it looks ALMOST as good as MDF...;)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

housemartin asked;

I assume you mean glueing it to the wall and not together along the tongue & grooves?

Something like No More Nails would do the trick.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang