Glueing fibreglass

What's a good glue for glueing fireglass plastic sheet (and it needs to be waterproof)?

I need to glue a strip of sand back down a fibreglass valley gutter for the mortar flaunching to bond to. Some parts of the sand strip have come away whilst removing the old mortar flaunching.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Fibreglass is normally bonded with polyester resin.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks Rob. Any product/trade names I should look for in the DIY sheds or Screwfix (which I think is open on Sundays near me)? It's not something I'm familiar with.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Screwfix will do the sort you use for bonding fixings to stone, but that's probably too thick for what you want. Car accessory places should have fibreglass patching kits, which will come with thin resin, or they might have the resin and hardener separately.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Cheers. Picked up some David's Fastglass polyester resin from local car accessory shop.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

From my experience building / fixing fibreglass real and model boats, as long as the surface to be glued is clean, dry and maybe abraided, any resin / epoxy type glues seem to work very well (5 min Epoxy used to hold a 1.5hp, 2/, 20,000 rpm engine in my 50 mpg catamaran ok!).. If you can get in there I might even try Gripfill (green, is that supposed to be waterproof? .. and if not does the glue actually have to be that 'waterproof'?).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

(5 min Epoxy used

T i m ;-)

Reply to
T i m

It's not err.... electric as well with a magic gearbox is it Tim? ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

I did race electric boats but this one was pure IC (no weird hybrids for me thankyou) ;-)

And it had a CVT .. it was called a propeller ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hi,

Epoxy resin is best, have a trawl of rec.boats.building...

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C