glueing chromed tube fixing

All, I have just fitted some chrome piping to some tiles for use as a towel rail in the bathroom . I have used standard 22mm tubing and end fixings from B&Q -0 actually intended for rails in wardrobes. The end fixings are the type where you secure piece of metal to the wall and the the 'main' fixing part slides onto it. However, when slid into place, the main fixing is able to quite easily move off again. Therefore, I am thinking about the possibility of a few dabs of glue to keep it in place. If this is possible / feasible, what glue should use ?? I have some all-purpose loktite bought from RS a while back - would this do the trick ?

Reply to
Neil Catley

The rail holders are the type with a ring on the end of a stock which then screws to the wall ? Or are they the type with the domed end which the tube sits inside ?

Could you fit a finial on the ends to hold it in place ?

Reply to
BigWallop

What glue you use isn't really critica - you are only avoiding accidental movement.

The Loktite should do the job, as would silicone sealant.

For future reference, the problem can be avoided by fitting the brackets slightly 'tight' - a couple of mm closer together.

Reply to
Chippy

They are similar to the ones with a domed end, but instead of being in one piece, they are in two. The main bit that the tube goes into does not screw directly to the wall, but slides over (an locks onto) a smaller plate that screws into the wall. Once in place, the bit screwed to the wall is concealed. But when I say 'locks', its not that tight or secure so I want to fix it better.

Forgive my inexperience, but what's a finial ?

Reply to
Neil Catley

Thanks - I'll try the loktite. The problem with fitting tight is that you more strain on the wall fixings. These are mounting in tile and so I dont want to 'jam' the bar in place. Also, this would prevent the tube from smoothly rotating - it would likely screech !

Reply to
Neil Catley

Car body filler. Epoxy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A finial is a decorative end piece for the ends of poles or tube, but you say that the brackets you have are already domed around the ends the pole, so you shouldn't need them. A web search for the word should bring up a few pages for you see what they are.

The system you have seems not to do its job properly if it isn't secure enough when brackets are set in the key plates. You might get away with slipping a piece of cardboard between the plate and the rail bracket to make it fit a bit more securely but still be able to remove it easily enough when you're going to decorate the room again. Gluing or screwing is a bit more permanent than just tightening the two parts together and if that's all it needs, then you won't see the cardboard hidden between the fittings when they're together either.

Good luck with it though.

Reply to
BigWallop

I have 2 towel rails like that, different makes. The bits that slide over the parts screwed to the wall are themselves secured by grub screws under the bottom edge which go behind a sloping lip on the fixed bit. So they are very secure. Without the grub screws they would be useless. Are you missing grub screws?

Reply to
BillR

There are no grub screws, and no holes for them so I dont think I'm missing something that 'should' be there. Put a bit of loktite on this evening and all looks good so far....

Reply to
Neil Catley