glue the final solution

As every woodworker knows, traditional hot bone glue is absolutely the best in so many ways - except for having to keep it bubbling away continuously or spending time bringing it back up to temp. I've just hit on the solution - microwave - and it works!! You keep the prepared glue in a jam jar (they're all heatproof nowadays) with a lid on. When you need it just pop it in the microwave without the lid for a few seconds - need to watch it carefully; give it

10 second blasts. Then put the jar in a bigger jar or pyrex bowl etc with hot water in to keep temperature up as per trad double boiler. If it cools too much just pop the whole lot (jar in bigger jar/bowl) back in the microwave again (without the lid if metal but a loose fitting pyrex kilner jar type lid would be OK). When finished put the lid back on to keep out dust and stop it drying out. Don't suppose I'm the 1st to think of it it's so obvious I'm wondering why I didn't think of it sooner.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

NEVER, EVER MICROWAVE A JAR WITH THE LID ON! Unless you are utterly sure that the lid is loose. If you must do this, it's safer to take the lid off, and turn it upside down, to avoid any chance of the seal being adequate to cause an explosion. The door will probably stop the flying glass, and it's probable that the jar would explode with the oven active, rather than seconds afterwards, but you only get one set of eyes.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I did say 'without the lid' if you read my post. A loose lid just sitting like a saucer is OK as I also said e.g. a glass kilner jar type lid but obviously without the rubber washer or metal screw ring.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

Sorry, I misread it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Needed saying again though, in case anyone else misread.

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

Oh all right then - but is anyone daft enough to put a jar with screwed on lid in a microwave? If so then they shouldn't own one, and they certainly shouldn't be messing about with hot glue - they'll get stuck to the bench and die of starvation and scalds if they haven't already blown themselves up!

cheers

jacob

Reply to
jacob

It is? I think not! OK, apart from maybe veneering. Other than that modern PVA, aliphatic resin or polyurethanes run absolute rings around hot bone glue - and they don't pong as much!!!

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Unfortunately, yes. Apparently this is a common accident in bio/chemistry labs that have microwaves for heating of flasks. Someone leaves a stopper in, and it goes bang.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

That polyurethane stuff certainly sticks to flesh very impressively...

Reply to
Steve Walker

As happened in a lab I worked in when I first left school, someone brought a tin of soup in for dinner and without thinking stuck it in the samples oven without puching holes in the top. Can exploded, blew oven door off and splattered very hot soup all over the lab.

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

Odd. I wouldn't have expected a tin to get that warm - being metal. I suppose steel is resistive enough if there is no other load in the oven.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

praps wasn't a microwave. It isnt just a particular microwave problem afterall

Reply to
jacob

Sounds more likely on reflection, true.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Yup - but how do you stop it going "off" if keeping it for a while? Stick it in the freezer?

Reply to
Chris Bacon