Glue or Sealant for Soles of Boots and Shoes

It seems to me durability of soles and heels for Shoes and Boots these days just gets less and less.

A while ago when the Woolworths shops were in business I could get rubber corners to stick on to the heels, which preserved the life span considerably.

I have recently bought a rubbery glue specially made for soles and heels, but this also does not wear at all well. Annoyingly the contents of the tube dry solid quickly despite me wrapping the tube in aluminum cooking foil to keep the air out.

On the internet i can see some very expensive adhesives, but how well they would perform in terms of wear and tear on shoes is anyone's guess.

Has anyone any suggestions on might be out there in the market place. There seem so many products available like the 'Sealants' that come in sealant guns. Some of these might just be suitable does anyone have any ideas please?

Reply to
john west

Shoe Goo

Both on Amazon and ebay.

Was around ?4-?5 a big tube but keep an eye on the sizes.

You could probably still source the rubber corners on eBay or Amazon

If you don't know the precise name just type in something shoe repair related and they may come up in the further suggestions

michael adams

michael adams

Do you mean this sort of thing?

I haven't tried them, I'm just looking for a solution myself. I've just bought three pairs of expensive shoes which I am now assured can't be repaired.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

If you have a tube of plastic cement (like the Marley stuff) lying around, that might be worth a try. I wouldn't go out and buy it especially, though. There are some things even that won't touch.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

+1

and the way it comes in black or "clear"

Reply to
Robin

Evo-Stik contact adhesive used (40 years ago) to be the glue of choice for fixing the soles of walking boots.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

A while back Lidl did a selection of adhesives in a "special". I bought a tube of shoe glue but have not yet used it - so no idea what it is like in use. It was quite low priced.

Reply to
polygonum

Evostick and similar solvent-based floor tile glues also work well, though I have never done it for just the corners of heels.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren

Have now found a really good adhesive that does the trick after a couple of coats. Its from Wilko. a toothpaste sized tube for £1.50 with a screw cap that effectively stops it drying up. Am using thin rubber soles bought on line then cut up, to stick on the heel corners.

Reply to
john west