glue on engine manifold cover plate

16 year old corolla, more of less on its way to the "happy hunting ground"; has a steel plate over the manifold that has rusted away around its securing bolts (these bolts are *very* well rusted in, and I am not intending to try to remove them).

Hence the plate vibrates in a very noisy manner. My half baked solution was to put araldite around the bolt heads and covering the plate where it had rusted away. (only a couple of millimeters at the most) However araldite cannot cope with the intense heat of the manifolds.

Would anyone be able to suggest an adhesive that would cope with these very hot conditions? Thanks.

Reply to
john brook

titanium loaded putty

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Exhaust putty? (Gun Gum or similar.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Possibly silicon, I have used for `sealing` the gaskets on a motorbike exhaust. Not sure about the adhesive qualities though but it should be ok for the heat.

Reply to
SS

In article , SS writes

Agreed, a goop of high temp silicone could damp the rattling as long as there are at least a couple of sound fixings:

fred

Is it really needed for an engineering reason? If not rip it off.

It is is still needed then hit it with a hammer to dent it and change its resonant frequency.

Reply to
The Other Mike

How critical is the plate? If the vehicle's time is short anyway, it might be possible just to ditch it and live without if its job is just to help with under-bonnet heat or to direct heat into the intake to assist with cold-weather conditions, say.

If you can't find a glue that'll work, is there any scope for making some form of metal hold-down straps - attach with sheet-metal screws at the plate end and to some other part of the engine at the other?

Highly bodge-o-rama, yes, but again if it's headed to the scrappy soon anyway...

Reply to
Jules Richardson

The surface of a petrol engine exhaust manifold can reach 800 degrees Celcius at motorway speeds.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Only real reason for a heat shield plate on exhaust manifold was for hot air feed to prevent carb icing.

Reply to
Peter Hill

I would try to undo them as they are tapped into cast iron and the carbon content acts as a lube and you maybe able to undo them.

First put some penetrating oil on and let that soak.

Never know you could get lucky.

Reply to
Rob

and start by giving them a medium whack sideways.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Perhaps a bracket could be made to attatch the shield to the nearest available fixing on the engine. The bracket could be made with sheet steel and ideally mig welded or pop riveted to the heat shield.

Alternatively if the heat shield could removed you could perhaps make up another and mount it perhaps in a slightly different position where it can be more securely fixed but at the same time do it's job.

Djornsk

Peter Hill gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

16yo, '95 - injection. So it's more likely just to be a heat shield due to the exhaust manifold being fairly visible, so at risk of singeing sticky little fingers.
Reply to
Adrian

I don't think it will stand the temperature of the manifold on a car. It's fine for use further downstream on an exhaust.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Commonest reason is to provide a "stove" from which to draw warm air to prevent carburetor freezing in cold weather. This can still happen with fuel injection, though it's rather less common. Without it, on cold damp days, you'll find the car will stop after you get up to speed, won't restart until the ice has melted after twenty minutes or so.

I'd wire it on, or make suitable alternative provision using an old dog- food tin.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Which still happens with fuel injection.

Reply to
Skipweasel

On my spitfire it was to prevent the petrol boilingioll did..dripped all over the exhaust pipe..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

...and on a car 16 years old it would be Euro 1 compliant and have a cat and presumably fuel injection. Of course if it was single point injection that can still require some heating of the inlet air.

Heat shield plates on exhausts can also protect bodywork, ancillaries and wiring, or they can be there just to tart up the underbonnet view.

Reply to
The Other Mike
[...]

"Shit! I've got to go out and get a bloody dog now!"

;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If the plate vibrates, there must be some wiggle room under it. Can you screw a small tapered screw sideways under it to take up that slack?

As I'm sitting at my desk, I'm looking at a paperclip which might be just the thing to bodge it with.

Reply to
GB