Glue for attachment to windscreen?

My daughter's rear mirror has become detached from the windscreen, and I'm wondering what is the appropriate way to fix it.

The mirror had one of those glue patches which one discloses by removing a small strip of plastic.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I experienced this problem when a broken windscreen was replaced and the rear-view mirror fell off! I motored to a RAC owned window replacement shop to seek advise;- The fitter asked; - "Was the car driven by a woman?" - (Puzzled) 'Yes!' ... That's the problem he said ! Apparently the 'glue patches' need (at least) twenty-four hours to cure. He gave me a couple of the glue patches and told me to, firstly, offer up the mirror assembly to the windscreen - using my left hand, then adjust the mirror - still being held by my left hand- to get a reasonable view - then and only then- place the glue strip onto the mirror/windscreen mount - remove the plastic off the windscreen-pointing side and replace the assembly onto the windscreen using my left hand. he said; - "You won't get a perfect rear-view- but it'll be good enough! " Leave for at least twenty-four hours - without touching it! Afterwards it'll stick there forever!" I followed his advice and have had no further trouble. {Apparently most rear-view mirror assemblies are 'stuck-on' by men, then the car is driven by a female within the twenty-four hours - and the mirror is adjusted for the different physique - and falls off) HTH

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

When I have needed to replace mirror - get a replacement sticky pad from Ford dealer. Works well and cheap

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

Halfrauds do them. Don't be tempted to use alternatives, they can result in a cracked screen.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

The message from Timothy Murphy contains these words:

Having tried many different solutions, the one I've found that's never needed to be re-fixed is the one with a square of mesh with the catalyst on it. Spread the glue onto the bit, lay the mesh, cut to size (cut it /beforehand!/) on the glue and stick. Takes about 30 secs to bond.

Clean the screen really really well first and if cold put a warm hot water bottle on the outside to dry any condensation from your breath and to speed up the reaction.

I've never actually met anyone who's cracked a screen by re-gluing a mirror.

Reply to
Guy King

In article , Brian Sharrock writes

Don't you mean adjusted several times to inspect facial make up and driving position;-)

Reply to
tony sayer

I'm indebted to Terry Wogan for remarking how much he enjoyed seeing 'convertibles' being driven in the hot weather;- ... the view of the beautifully coiffed drivers with their highlighted hair, the tanned complexions, the perfectly applied make-up, the enamelled manicured nails .... and ... as for the women ...?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Timothy Murphy said

You can get them from Halfords.

Reply to
zaax

I had this probelm with a rear view mirror coming off and the proper kit with the mesh certainly did the trick. I was very impressed as the fixing has to take quite a lot of force when the mirror is being adjusted.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev