glue choice problem

I got the job of keeping some microphone stands in good order (only after they weren't any more), and I have a problem.

One of the vertical extender locking collars doesn't work.

There's a clamp, much like an XLR strain relief, which is a tapered screw which the collar clamps down on to the inner rod when tightened up. This screw should be attached (part of the same moulding) as the collar which is fixed (pressed + glued) on to the outer tube of the vertical stem.

The trouble is the screwed part has broken away from the collar, so it won't clamp as there's nothing to stop it rotating.

The obvious answer (if it's possible) is to glue it.

So, can anyone tell me if one of the enormous number of glues out there will work.

There's not much to purchase on, the broken off bit ends in a circle about

1/2" dia, and less than 1mm thickness, but there *is* room to build up a bit of a fillet if it will help.

The material of the broken component is a hardish plastic.

I'd be very grateful for any advice

mike

Reply to
mike

Weld it?

Reply to
Alan

The message from mike contains these words:

I very much doubt you'd ever manage to get it to stay stuck no matter what you used.

If the stands don't /have/ to be adjustable, then gaffertape over it, even if you push that one to the back and give the remaining adjustable stands to those who need them.

If they do have to be adjustable/collapsible, then I'd make up a collar that fits round the outer tube with a radial tapped hole to take a thumbscrew. Bit of pipe that slips over with a nut welded over a hole in the side would do. You could araldite that to the outer tube if need be.

Reply to
Guy King

Try epoxy cured warm, or possibly car body filler, for metal to thermoset plastic joints. Thermoplastic plastic is almost unglueable IME, and polyolefins (nylon/polythene etc.) COMPLETELY unglueable..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If they're decent quality stands somewhere like Canford Audio should have spares. Cheap stands - err - break, and really are never a saving.

As regards glue, I've been impressed with Evostick Serious glue - seems to stick things others can't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Well, as in my experience you're a hard man to impress, I'll give it a go.

Thanx

mike

Reply to
mike