GLS bulbs getting smaller?

Just bought some replacement 40W GLS BC pearl bulbs from ASDA and they're tiny. Not pigmy or any other form of special but being sold as regular.

Globe diameter is down from ~55 to 46mm. Length is shorter too so the position of the light source in the shade changes which is a bit annoying.

Has anyone noticed this happening elsewhere?

Pics here:

fred

I had to buy some last weekend ....... crap aren't they !

Reply to
Franko

Probably the H7 and J5 on the eend of the bulbs has something to do with it.!

Reply to
the_constructor

transport cost per bulb. Also means a given amount of shelf space can hold more lines, = more profit.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That will happen with age.

Reply to
R D S

Wilkinson Hardware own brand GLS went this way at least 1 year ago. All wattages.

A smaller glass envelope and/or shorter bayonet makes me wonder whether the operating temperature of the bayonet is the same. If it has gotten hotter then doesn't that threaten batten trouble?

Or perhaps the traditional envelope size was set yonks ago with little scientific justification & someone has now investigated and the new size has a rational technical basis?

Reply to
jim

All a bit academic anyway if our wonderful govmint has it's way and makes them vanish altogether:-(

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I thought of increased losses through a higher envelope temperature but hadn't thought of the effect to the bulb holder. I'll be taking back those I haven't used and seeking out some full size ones.

Reply to
fred

On 15 Oct, 20:57, fred wrote: /snip/

Well unless you know something I don't, you are behaving like the st*p*d asses in the govt who are forcing CFL lights down our gullets on ill considered (and almost certainly incorrect) airy fairy environment propaganda.

I DID NOT SAY the temp is higher only speculating that could be. Equally it could be as I suggested that historic GLS bulb size had little technical basis, or indeed some other explanation.

BEFORE you take damaging irresponsible action make sure you understand the technical facts and have reasonably verified their accuracy. Unlike the idiots in Whitehall who are arranging to douse all our rubbish tips in mercury.

Successful application of science and engineering requires careful detailed examination of a host of interacting detail. It advances by speculations such as I made, but that is how investigations and better understanding commence NOT the end of the quest by a long chalk.

Reply to
jim

Actually they're going back because the light source is 15mm lower (or higher, depending on the orientation) in the shades which is changing the light distribution for the worse. The light quality is also poorer as the filament is closer to the pearl diffuser. I'm sorry you thought I was returning them because of your temperature revelation, your opined rant was not required.

Now kindly wind your neck back in and get back in your box.

Hugs or otherwise,

Reply to
fred