GLS bulbs?

Yes - I saw some in the Wray catalogue some time ago, but it was only available in gold or white (silver?).

The maroon (well, sort of purple) stuff would be useful for theatre sets. A 1930s pendant light (or table lamp) with white round pvc flex doesn't quite look the part :-(

Thanks. Maybe I should get some cotton dye and do a few experiments...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

And if you want a braided finish, stick it down the middle of a cotton reel and do cotton-reel 'knitting' (four nails in the top of the reel, and some form of knitting that produces a hollow knitted tube out the bottom of the reel. I bet Mary will know how).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think you can. Some of the horribly inefficient clear glass lamps[1] with decorative shaped filaments must be carbon filament lamps. Carbon filaments will hold themselves in various curved shapes without having to stretch the filament in straight lines between copious supports, unlike tungsten filaments at mains voltage.

Warning: never switch on a carbon filament lamp if you think the seal might have gone and it's got air in it. Unlike tungsten, carbon burns very much faster (instantly) in air and the by-product is a gas, the result of which is the lamp explodes. (Been there, done that...)

BTW, GLS lamps are known as A-line lamps in the US. The A stands for Arbitrary.

[1] _bulbs_[2] are things you plant in flower beds. [2] _bulb_ is sometimes used in the lighting industry to refer to the outer glass envelope of a lamp, and also to tiny lamps used in torches, i.e. "torch bulbs".
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel