Glowworm 30cxi fault - pcb?

My son's 6 year-old Glowworm 30cxi condensing combi is unwell. He noticed no dhw, then saw the display flashing all bars and noticed that the boiler was making "some noise". He power cycled it: no change; power cycled again: this time no display, no sound, nuffink. No F codes at any stage.

I've established that there's 240v at the pcb, and that the pcb fuse is intact.

Could it be anything other than, or as well as, the pcb? I've seen references to fixed price repairs - who offers these? BG? Glowworm?

I'm happy enough to swap a pcb, but I gather they're not exactly cheap, so I'm hesitant to do so if another component is going to make it let its smoke out.

Any advice, please?

Reply to
Kevin Poole

See if Geoff has a recon one you can swap it for:

John Rumm

I believe that Geoff is on holiday ATM. There should be someone in the office though.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Just returned today

We were waiting on a loom to build a test set for the CXi I don't know if that's happened yet

Reply to
geoff

Thanks for the comments to date.

Son has decided to bite the bullet and pay Glow Worm. They offered three options:

Fixed price repair - £260

One year service agreement, including initial repair but with £99 excess on any subsequent repairs - £200

As above, but no excess - £300

Careful questioning as to why anyone would go for the £260 option instead of the £200 revealed that they don't offer the £200 one for boilers over a certain age. Hmmm.

So they're coming tomorrow. I'll report the outcome.

Reply to
Kevin Poole

They came, as agreed, on time (07.30), and replaced both the main and the display pcbs. I couldn't quite follow why the display board needed replacement. They also replaced the inner door seal and main burner seal, and ran the usual basic checks, but not the gas consumption.

No adverse comments about the (non-Corgi) installation apart from disliking the use of about a yard of 22mm copper for the first part of the condensate drain.

We'll see how things go from here, but I'm beginning to conclude, from a sample of two, that modern boilers are one of the few cases where some sort of maintenance agreement is a Good Thing.

Two other points from the repairman: maximum length of outside condensate drain in 21.5mm is now reduced to 1m; and when asked which make of boiler he'd buy for himself, he unhesitatingly said Vaillant, because W-B standards had dropped recently.

Reply to
Kevin Poole

Yup, I'd go along with that

Reply to
geoff

That's what Mr Gasman also said to me in his latest visit for an annual service. He used to be very pro-WB.

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

replying to Kevin Poole, J. Haywood wrote: I have a Glow Worm 30CXi and it was dead when be bought the house. We were quoted £300 to replace the printed circuit board. Being an electronic engineer, I wasn't about to pay that without looking at it first, so this is what I found:

Symptom - Dead, no display and a faint ticking sound when the power is turned on or takes a long time to power up from cold. Fuse F100 is intact.

The switch mode power supply (adjacent to the fuse) is not starting up. This is caused by a faulty electrolytic capacitor C805 situated at the bottom of the PCB near to the fuse. This is a 47uF @ 50v. Be sure to obtain a 105 degree type, not a cheaper 85 degree as this will provide a much longer service life.

A suitable type is available from RS components

part number

520-1567 priced £1.50 for a pack of 5!

It may also be worth replacing C813 100uf @ 25v on the power supply secondary at the same time. This is situated at the bottom of the PCB to the left of the small transformer.

A suitable type is 519-4150 from RS priced at £1.00 per pack of 5.

Remember to isolate the boiler mains supply before touching the PCB as it is very, very live!!!

Hopefully this will save people some money :0)

Reply to
J. Haywood

When did Kevin write that?

I know it's on your web interface, I checked once. Those of us with proper newsreaders seem to see it better.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

1st July 2011.

Mr Haywood may well know about electronics, but he needs to learn the difference between a spamming web gateway and Usenet.

Reply to
Graham.

replying to Graham., J. Haywood wrote: Point taken. Next time I find something to help others, I'll keep it to myself. Good day gentlemen.

Reply to
J. Haywood

difference between a spamming web gateway and Usenet.

Point taken. Next time I find something to help others, I'll keep it to myself. Good day gentlemen.

Reply to
J. Haywood

OK fair comment and I apologise, but please could you read the quote below the ellipsis, it was written by John Rumm who has more tact and diplomacy than myself, it dosn't excuse my rudeness, but it might explain our frustration in this matter. Homeownershub.com only exists to make money for its owner via the ads and clickbait. USENET on the other hand has managed for over 35 years without any of that.

If you have been using the Home0wnersHub web site, you may have wondered why a number of posters seem rather confused by some of the messages you have been posting. Hopefully this post will make clear why this is happening.

Home0wnersHub (HOH) is one of a number of web sites that provide a gateway to one or more USENET newsgroups. In this particular case it connects to the USENET group "uk.d-i-y"

For details about this group, please read:

For some background and links about usenet groups and how they are normally used, please see:

Like good comedy, Timing is everything =======================================

Usenet groups are generally "ephemeral". Once a post has been sent to a news server, it will be shared around the world with other news servers. Depending on how busy the group is, and the storage space allocated by the server to the group, each server may only store messages for a few weeks or months before expiring them.

So when replying to a post, please take careful note of the date on which it was posted. There is little point in making a response to a post concerning a problem with someone's central heating, if the problem occurred in 2006 - One, they have probably fixed it by now, and two, most readers of your message won't be able to see what you are replying to - so it will make little sense!

(Although many news servers won't retain posts to a group for an extended period, once a post has been made and distributed to other servers, you have to assume that its never going to go away completely

- there will always be a copy somewhere! You can't delete a message once posted. There are also archives of past usenet postings, google for example have groups.google.com that makes many years worth of posts to this group searchable).

Quoting =======

News reader software usually makes it easy to include in your message parts of the post you are replying to. This is called "quoting". Careful use of quoting - e.g. leaving in just enough of the original message in place, will help readers follow the thread of the conversation. Note that some users (especially sight impaired ones) will depend quite heavily on this quoted content to make sense of postings. If you don't include sensibly trimmed quoted content you will irritate many users who won't know what you are replying to. (and including too much, will irritate others!)

Reply to
Graham.

I think because you didn't munge the name of the web/usenet gateway you're referring to, it will filter out your post so he won't see the advice.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Setting aside the comments about the route of Mr H's reply, I'm grateful for something else to go onto the "it might come in handy" shelf.

The boiler in question has performed faultlessly since then, but I'll be well prepared if it fails again. If I can remember which shelf I put the information on.

So, thank you, Mr Haywood.

Reply to
Kevin