Glow worm boiler problem

I have just fitted a new central heating circlation pump which is located close to an old glow worm boiler.(lots of spanners, hammering) The pump works fine but on starting the central heating after completing the job the boiler would not work properly. The pilot light kept going out. I bought a new themocouple thinking this was the problem but still no joy. What happens is the pilot lights and stays lit, when the main jets are fired up it works OK, but shortly after there is a click and the main burner and pilot both cut out. Any ideas?
Peter Kelly wrote:

Check the terminal assembly is clear, ours started going out after the gas board *serviced* it, they vac out the boiler housing, but not the flue/inlet duct, the thing just runs out of oxygen, and now being the time of leaf fall it just might be....BTDT every 2 years!
Niel.

Nope, but I wouldn't mind some too. It may have nothing to do with the pump, my Gloworm does this occasionally (but only when I'm not looking :-(). I come home and it's off with no pilot light. My best guess at present is that the pilot light jet is a bit blocked. I must get round to looking at it!
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

It sounds like some sort of cutout is operating. Are you sure that the pump is working OK? In particular, did you reopen the isolating valves?
Christian.
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 10:23:31 +0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

pouring the contents of a removed waste trap down the nearest waste. forgetting to switch on the plug before pushing back an appliance into its hole...
Its some sort of circulation failure, could even be a dry pump. You did bleed the pump by removing the end cap...
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Got close to solving the problem. Dissembled the pilot,igniter and thermocouple assembly then undid the pilot jet from the pipe. At the top of the pipe was a plug of carbon, removed this and the pilot light was much larger, thus heating the thermocouple. Thought I had the problem cracked but after 24 hours went out again may need to revisit, will advise outcome.

On 30/11/2003 "Peter Kelly" opined:-

It sounds like either the thermocouple may need a bit of tightening into its socket, or that the tip is not 'seeing' enough heat on its tip when the main jets fire. Try moving the tip so it is better located in the pilot flame and/or truning the pilot jet up a little if it is adjustable.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT)...