Gloss worktop scratches

I am looking for ideas for removing scratches from my laminated gloss worktop. Small scratches seem to show up worse on the gloss variety.
One idea I have is to gently heat the laminate so it just starts to become soft. Then with some vigorous rubbing the scratch might vanish. This is very theoretical! Obviously questions are; what to use to heat the laminate and to what temperature?
All suggestions gratefully received!
Thanks,
Andy
--
Is it wrong to kill a child?
Is it wrong for someone to do it on your behalf?

IMO there is a high probability that you will wish you hadn't done that! Sounds like a recipe for a ruined worktop.
You could try that clear miracle car paint scratch filler I keep seeing promoted, e.g. in Homebase. Don't know how well it works. Test it on an unobtrusive place first in case it eats laminate.
W.
T-Cut would probably do it. If you need something stronger, then Fareclas.
Rob Graham
I might try T-cut as I have some left over when I scratched my hire car.

...bearing in mind that T-Cut is an abrasive that removes the outer surface of the thing you are polishing.
How much removal will laminate stand before looking damaged?
I don't know so it's a bit risky unless they are very light scratches, which is why I suggested a filler.
Be interested to know how it turns out.
W.
"Woodspoiler" wrote | > I might try T-cut ... | ...bearing in mind that T-Cut is an abrasive that removes the | outer surface of the thing you are polishing. | How much removal will laminate stand before looking damaged?
Not very much :-(
Owain
message

I don't know, but car paintwork is not very thick either and it seems to put up with this.
Rob
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:37:03 -0000, "Andy Turnbull" <no email please!> wrote:

As a one off job you might get away with using one of those cheap polishing attachments you fit to a drill, otherwise you need a mop head like this: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 007&tst357
and some "Smooth Grade" compound, you can attach the mop to a 9" grinder, but IMO they are a bit too fast.

regards Tim
The thing to remember is the tops surface is very thin, the whole sheet is only about .8mm thick
If you are in Essex give me a call when you mess it up & I will quote you for fitting a new top
--
regards
Dave Batter

I think its Andy Turnbull that might need to give you a call, Not me :-)
regards Tim