Gloss worktop scratches

I am looking for ideas for removing scratches from my laminated gloss worktop. Small scratches seem to show up worse on the gloss variety.

One idea I have is to gently heat the laminate so it just starts to become soft. Then with some vigorous rubbing the scratch might vanish. This is very theoretical! Obviously questions are; what to use to heat the laminate and to what temperature?

All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
Andy Turnbull

IMO there is a high probability that you will wish you hadn't done that! Sounds like a recipe for a ruined worktop.

You could try that clear miracle car paint scratch filler I keep seeing promoted, e.g. in Homebase. Don't know how well it works. Test it on an unobtrusive place first in case it eats laminate.

W.

Reply to
Woodspoiler

T-Cut would probably do it. If you need something stronger, then Fareclas.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

As a one off job you might get away with using one of those cheap polishing attachments you fit to a drill, otherwise you need a mop head like this:

some "Smooth Grade" compound, you can attach the mop to a 9" grinder, but IMO they are a bit too fast.

regards Tim

Reply to
Tim

I might try T-cut as I have some left over when I scratched my hire car.

Reply to
Andy Turnbull

...bearing in mind that T-Cut is an abrasive that removes the outer surface of the thing you are polishing.

How much removal will laminate stand before looking damaged?

I don't know so it's a bit risky unless they are very light scratches, which is why I suggested a filler.

Be interested to know how it turns out.

W.

Reply to
Woodspoiler

"Woodspoiler" wrote | > I might try T-cut ... | ...bearing in mind that T-Cut is an abrasive that removes the | outer surface of the thing you are polishing. | How much removal will laminate stand before looking damaged?

Not very much :-(

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The thing to remember is the tops surface is very thin, the whole sheet is only about .8mm thick

If you are in Essex give me a call when you mess it up & I will quote you for fitting a new top

Reply to
kitchenman

I think its Andy Turnbull that might need to give you a call, Not me :-)

regards Tim

Reply to
Tim

I don't know, but car paintwork is not very thick either and it seems to put up with this.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham