Gloss painted walls - How to fix them

I have just helped a friend remove some tenants from a property he owns.

There are various amounts of damage but in particular the lounge walls were just emulsioned plaster when they moved in but they have painted them with gloss.

Any tips as to how to fix it. Reskim, paint stripper, hot air gun? Has anyone had to fix this before and had success with any particular method?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I'm sure there's more to that story!

Oh gawd.

Is the fire insurance premium up-to-date? ;-)

I don't think skimming would stick on top of gloss. Wallpaper might, with appropriate glue, but that's just storing up problems for later.

hack back to brick and replaster might be the answer. Did the outgoing tenants volunteer any cash or valuables to pay for the damage?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sand it down (with an angle grinder).

Reply to
dennis

I had a similar problem in my bathroom (not with the tenants). Tried multiple times to paint over it with various emulsions but nothing would strip, even with thorough sanding first.

Finally stripped it as best I could with this stuff:

seemed to do a good enough job with a bit of scrubbing to enable me to paint with vinyl matt which is still holding strong.

Of course a lounge may be quite a bit bigger.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Assuming the gloss is well bonded to the wall:

Rough it up, some sort of primer maybe(?) then emulsion???

As long as you can get it into a state where emulsion will stick stably, can't see the need to remove it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yep, it is a lounge/diner with high ceilings. So we would be looking at least £100 of the stuff to do one coat. Plus the time needed to do it.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

IME emulsion sticks to gloss just fine, providing the first coat is wiped on sparingly and not allowed to form a film.

Reply to
stuart noble

Just put oil based undercoat onto it. Then once set, emulsion.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

The fumes from covering whole walls with oil based paint would be something awful, although the original perpetrators obviously survived.

Reply to
stuart noble

I use a couple of fans, sit them in an open window. I suspect not doing that could be a real safety problem.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I have managed to paint over it once with eggshell using a small roller (i.e. the 4" ones with mini fleece). I need to one one coat - it will be patchy and show through. Let that dry and then the next coat goes on ok.

Reply to
John Rumm

or not, depending on how you interpret "remove some tenants" ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm sure it will keep your spirits up to have a couple of fans cheering you on while you work, [and YES, he's sloshed on another square yard of paint stripper, isn't the sweeping motion of his forearm just MASTERFUL?], but sitting them in an open window is the real safety problem -- they might fall out, especially if they get too enthusiastic! And make sure they don't throw any beer cans.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

As if.....

That's not what my mate said!

How much are 6 female cannabis plants worth?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I am probably going to regret this... but how do you tell the sex of a cannabis plant? (and does it matter - assuming you are not a cannabis plant that is)

Reply to
John Rumm

Well you check their internodes. YOUR firm should know that:-)

The female plants produce the stuff that sad people like to smoke.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I'm reliably informed that the sex is important if you want to get off your face.

But I have no idea how to tell. I do also know that there is something growing naturally in my garden that can wobble your eyeballs - as the reliable informant asked if he could have some! I thought they were just weeds (not weed - I do know what that looks like).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Mate`s a decorator, thats what they do with heavy nicotine or cooking staining,oil based undercoat obliterates everything, stops it grinning through subsequent emulsion.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Or happy people depending when you assess them!

I'd legalise it, if only to put one section of the production and sales chain out of business. If people want to bend their brains, that's upto them AFAIAC as long as it doesn't statistically make them turn into violent nutters (which is odd as alcohol is legal).

Funny how tradition trumps all. If Sir Walt had brought back a sack of wacky from the New World, we'd all be stoning off on fat cubans at every special occasion, whilst the chavs were knocking 5 quid in the pub machine for a pack of 20 "Hemp Lights".

Reply to
Tim Watts

We did indeed pinch the name from a botanical dictionary... but did not do that much reading beyond thinking - "that sounds ok!" ;-)

(In the fields around here they quite often grow hemp. They had to put a sign on one field saying low THC content - please don't bother pinching it!)

Reply to
John Rumm