Gloss paint problem

For the first time I have a problem with gloss paint. Also for the first time I had a door dipped. I then filled where necessary, knotted, primed, undercoated and then glossed, looked good. Now however a few weeks later the panels in the door (it is a 1930 ish door) have developed a fine craze in the gloss finish, any ideas of the cause? Also more importantly the cure? TIA

Reply to
Broadback

Hi

Did you wash down the door with a mixture of water and vinegar to neutralise it?

rob

Reply to
Rob

Sounds like the surface of the wood absorbed some of the paint stripper which is now finding its way out again.

s--p--o--n--i--x

Depends on the type of stripping. With Dip 'n Strip type chemicals the volatile part of the stripper evaporates too quickly for that to happen but some of them have a wax/starch element that needs to be washed off with water. If it was caustic dipped, they normally pressure wash to get rid of any alkaline residue. Either way the surface should be more, rather than less, receptive to paint. The door was completely dry I assume. Caustic stripped doors can take several days to dry out.

Reply to
Stuart Noble