gloss paint not drying

I glossed the kitchen and bathroom woodwork around the windows yesterday. The kitchen window is fine but 24hrs later the bathroom window is still tacky. What's causing this and do I simply wait for an extended period of time for it to dry?

Thanks

Reply to
neil leslie

Cheap paint or unsound surface, i.e grease. where the kitchen is concerend a thorough degreasing agent is required.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Possibly humidity? Leave the window open if it's not raining.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

hehehehe reminds me of when some one nicked 5 x 2.5 litre tins of paint from the back of my pickup . labelled only as white professional high gloss paint . i still have fond thoughts of some poor git saying to his wife months down the line "the paint will be dry soon " no it bloody well wont, not 2 part paint without the hardener

Reply to
hammy1967

Was it an old tin of paint? The driers, which are organometallic compounds to catalyse the crosslinking of the paint resins have a habit of going off with time.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

If the kitchen window dried ok but the bathroom window is still tacky I'd of thought the paint was not old and the bathroom window needed a good clean before applying the paint.

Possible there is water/condensation remains have got into the wood behind the old paint, hence it going tacky.

Puts paid to your rather over zealous assumption.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It has of course occurred to you that the tackiness is only evident because objects have put onto the shelf and the partly-cured paint has for that reason revealed a tacky nature? The only reason that water can interfere with the curing of an oxidatively crosslinking paint is by immersion, which physically debars the oxygen.

Three years in the industry of formulating paints, adhesives and the like, I would describe as experience rather than assumption.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

You are supposed to be blinded by science.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Now where was it I was reading the other day about someone who had 5 tins of 2-pot paint stolen from his truck - but not the hardener?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ