Gloss paint

Leyland Truguard - twice the price of regular gloss. Anyone know if this really is longer lasting for exterior use?

meow2222

Yes it is, but need a lot of preparation before applying. Have a read at the instructions on the tin.

Reply to
BigWallop

Nothing lasts long on a bad surface, and any paint should last 10+ years on a good one. Peeling paint is invariably due to failure of the substrate, so manufacturers' longevity claims, quite rightly, don't apply. They test their paints on a sheet of glass rather than a 100 year old window frame :-)

These naptha based trade paints are designed primarily to quick dry in cold weather so that contracts are not delayed, so the home user may be paying for qualities he doesn't need.

Reply to
stuart noble

Stuart Noble:

Nothing lasts long on a bad surface, and any paint should last 10+ years on a good one. Peeling paint is invariably due to failure of the substrate, so manufacturers' longevity claims, quite rightly, don't apply. They test their paints on a sheet of glass rather than a 100 year old window frame :-)

These naptha based trade paints are designed primarily to quick dry in cold weather so that contracts are not delayed, so the home user may be paying for qualities he doesn't need.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Right, cheers. I've got a problem then. Old exterior woodwork with 3 layer paintwork (red oxide primer, alkyd under and top coats) peeled off after 2 years. Maybe you'd know - is there anything I can do to improve how long it lasts? Access is problematic, so paying more is no problem. I'd pay =A350 a tin if there were some magic formula.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You probably need to get back to bare wood and firm up the surface, either with wood hardener or a fibreglass resin. A lot of work but I don't know of another way

Reply to
stuart noble