glazed wooden front door

I have a glazed wooden front door which has 10 narrow glass panels, 5 at the top then a solid wooden piece with the letterbox then 5 glass panels below not double glazed.

I do feel cold coming from the door as it is more glass than wood but how much heat would a new door contain?

I have a thick curtain that helps but it is unsightly.

here is a picture

Jenny

I agree, the curtain is bloody awful.

On a serious note, what do you mean by a 'new door'? - A PVCu double glazed door? A new wooden DG door?

Reply to
Phil L

Either a new wooden double glazed door similar in appearance to the old door or a upvc one. But would I save the cost of the new door in reduced energy costs or would I still be paying for the door in 30 years? i.e. new door costs £300, energy saving because of new door in 30 years £200? In 30 years I will be 90 so will be past caring by then. J

Reply to
Jenny

You are never going to save the cost of a new door in energy, you will save some of it, plus you'll have the added benefits of a new door, both in appearance and security.

I estimate that it will save you about a tenner per year - if you're lucky....also, what will it be like in ten years time, when you will presumably be seventy? - will you have the money then to have it changed or will it 'see you out'? - it looks about 20 years old now, I can't see it lasting another 20 or 30, so my advice is; get it changed now - they are only going to rise in cost, and if you do get it changed now, you will get the most benefit from it rather than someone else when you've popped your clogs.

Reply to
Phil L

Assuming that it is not seriously drafty and that your house is not on t= he top a hill exposed to the wind and high up so current exterior daytime temperatures are close to freezing I doubt the energy saving will ever p= ay for a new door.

Because you will have died from hypothermia in a cold house you don't li= ke the look of. This is not about saving money but about being warm and comfortable in a home you like. What price can you place on that?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A new lock on a upvc door is less secure than what he probably has, especially if a drill or bump key is used. People are severely misled about "high security" locks.

If you get upvc watch for condensation on fittings and the letterbox!

Reply to
Pete Smith

Have you room to add a second door inside - ie make a vestibule? Makes a huge difference to heat loss and noise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The fact that you're posting now with a cold wind blowing suggests it might be a draught problem. I'd sort that out and maybe get a heavier velvet type curtain. Then again you might need a longer curtain rail.

Whatever you decide on, don't take the light you get through the current door for granted

Reply to
Stuart Noble