Glass walls

"Lobster" wrote | Have you considered a normal stud partition with a fixed | glazed (frosted glass) panel? I recently did this in order | to get some light into an internal landing, and it worked | very well. Fitted a high panel, about 3' long by 15" | deep.

That works best when the panel is fitted into a living room. If it's fitted into a bedroom then whenever someone puts the light on in the hall at night, it might disturb someone trying to sleep in the bedroom. The temptation then is not to switch the light on, and fall down the stairs in the dark.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Our kids have their own kids ... but our kids didn't giggle anyway, they expressed their boredom, which is perfectly healthy and, I'd have thought, normal.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Er - what, watching you procreating??!! David

Reply to
Lobster

Well, it'll have to be toughened safety glass, as it extends below a certain height.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

For a start, not every act of love results in procreation - although a lot of ours did. Our children were used to having babies around and had no ignorance about how they happened. It's just a kind of diy plumbing after all, they knew about the metal and plastic type, why not other types?

That was many years ago, their own children have the same attitudes to life.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That may be, but as the intention is to increase value when selling the property, it might be an idea to widen the possible range of purchasers by not using privacy-free partitions in bedrooms, as some people don't have the same attitude to "hanging out" in front of their children or guests.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

A house is primarily to live in, surely? Prospective purchasers will never find a 100% perfect place so why not pander one's self rather than someone you might not even like!

I'm certainly not going to adjust my lifestyle to an unknown person. Do you decorate your house with them in mind? Plant things in your garden for that reason? Consider them when planning lighting? Place sockets where they might (0r might not) want them? Choose the bathroom suite colour according to their tastes rather than your own?

Of course you don't.

Well, if you do you're daft.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why not generalise :)

I bought my first property with my fiancee last year, and have been steadily (or not so steadily) doing it up. And we are definitely considering future purchasers/renters. Though in this case it's a 1 bed flat, and we don't expect to live there for very long. When we settle down in a "family house", and expect to stay there for a decade or so, we'll give ourselves more stylistic freedom.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

I do actually, so I must be daft! Many of the modifications and improvements to the house are done with one eye on the resale value. I wouldn't consider putting transparent walls on a bedroom at all, due to the likely deleterius effect on resale value, even if I didn't strongly object myself to giving practical personal and social education lessions every night.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

How do you know their tastes?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

improvements

There might be some people who'd be delighted with such a feature and pay over the odds for it.

You just don't know.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The trick with selling properties is to appeal to the largest number of purchasers, not to the single lone eccentric who may never visit. Someone who insists on keeping the lovely features, such as glass walled bedrooms and dog showers on the stairs, and a built in refridgerator in the bathroom, etc. will not get the best price.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That's a sad comment on the housing market.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Perhaps not, but if it's what the owner wants for himself he's going to be more comfortable and happy in the house while he lives there than by being deprived.

We'd rather live in our own folly than a boring-same-as-everyone-else's house.

And we do. We're not regarded as eccentric, just English.

What's a dog shower? And what's refridgerator come to that?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Eh? I can make a pretty educated guess that if I paint the living room bright orange I am going to appeal to a more limited market than if I paint it something more neutral like magnolia. And the wider my market, the better the price I am likely to get.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Agreed. However, the OP specifically said that he wanted to convert an open plan area back into a second bedroom to make the property more saleable. At the same time, he wanted to preserve the light and airy look. Presumably, he wants to sell it soon.

There ensued a discussion on what was *really* likely to influence most prospective purchasers. The rest is history!

Reply to
Set Square

Sad it may be. But it's the message which gets hammered time and again in these makeover-type TV programmes which my other half spends too much time watching.

Reply to
Set Square

In message , Christian McArdle writes

now, there's boasting ;-)

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

"Christian McArdle" wrote ... | Someone who insists on keeping the ... built in refridgerator in | the bathroom, will not get the best price.

Perhaps one day, all houses will have this little piece of luxury. Bathrooms are supposed to be the new kitchens, and how else does one keep the champagne chilled?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"dave @ stejonda" wrote | Christian McArdle writes | >giving practical personal and social education lessions every night. | now, there's boasting ;-)

I wasn't sure whether he meant lessons or lesions, but didn't like to ask

Owain

Reply to
Owain