Glass vs. plastics bottles & jars

I don't fancy that can of WWII powdered eggs that I found in my Grandmothers house.

Reply to
ARW

I've got one of those,retrieved it about 1985. It was full but now isn't. One evening around 1990 some mates and I came home from the pub starving to a limited range of edibles which included the egg. As the Berlin wall had recently come down it was unanimously decided that the reason Gran had kept it would have been the cold war that was now over so we made some up and used it to accompany the only other practical thing to eat which was some shredded wheat.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Perhaps carrot juice is particularly susceptible to being degraded by exposure to oxygen?? Glass would protect it from that.

Reply to
Nightjar

:) I found some 1930s jam, but knowing a little about 1930s jam would not touch it with a bargepole.

Powdered eggs were used in cakes, as few as they were, during the war, so they must have been uncooked. So rather high risk after 60 odd years. I don't know of anything in modern times that's canned without full sterilisation.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr