Glass for fireplace

When we bought our 1960 built house, it had a gas fire in the front room which was removed when we had central heating put in - the chimney was swept and pronounced good by the sweep. We decided last week to remove the one-piece tiled surround and mantle as it was yellowing and in any case isn't our style. What we are left with is a fireback which pokes out slightly from the chimney breast all round.

The tiled surround had a lintel which is lower than the top of the hole we now have - the fireback above this point pokes out slight less creating a ledge at the original height. The sticking out bit of the constuctional lintel is a full brick high, while the vertical parts of the fireback are much narrower.

Trying for a modern feel, I would like to get a stainless steel frame made to cover the vertical edges of the fireback and the top part of the brick lintel. A piece of smoked glass will cover the rest of the lintel and come right down to form a practical lintel at the height of the old tiled lintel. The piece of glass will rest of the ledge mentioned above. and will be held in place by the steel frame.

I've put my technical drawing skills with CorelDraw to the test again, and there are some diagrams of what I want at

- please take a look!

It's a nice plan, now all I've got to do is execute it!

  • There's a whole load of "steel fabrications" listed in the Yellow Pages. Are these the right people to get to make the bits of stainless steel up, and can anyone recommend one in or around Oxford?

  • Where should I go and what should I ask for to get a piece of heat-proof, slightly tinted glass, roughly 400mm x 160mm? The nearest glass supplier wasn't interested (or helpful - I think I might have caught him at a bad time)

  • Do I need to protect the glass from the brick and steel? In any case I guess I need some sort of gasket of sealant between the glass and the steel? Anything recommended?

As ever, thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Reply to
Stephen Gower

Hi,

You want borosilicate glass (Pyrex) or ceramic glass (as used in ceramic hobs), a search on somthing like the following should give a few leads:

?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&q=site%3A.co.uk+ceramic+glass+sheetsuch as:

* Do I need to protect the glass from the brick and steel? In any

There are heat resistant sealants available, a shop that sells solid fuel stoves would know.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

the reply! They were incredibly helpful, although I did have a 2 hour round trip since neither of us was willing to entrust the glass to a courier. I am now the proud owner of a piece of Robax (ceramic glass). I just need to design the specifics of the stainless steel frame, and my fire surround will be well on its way.

Reply to
Stephen Gower