glass for a fanlight....

been asked to help out with a new fanlight (window above a door to let light in to internal corridor).

Stud wall so seems plain sailing - only - how thick glass should be put in? apparently there are no regs so "anything" is ok - 4mm?

Glass area will be about 29 inches wide by 18 inches tall...

To retain it I was thinking 2 "frames" of quadrant bead nailed on to the newly formed opening, and glass in between with putty/glazing tape?

Constructive comments welcome as always

TIA

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

There are Regs for internal and partitiion glazing.

I'd consider using a pane on the outside and inside of the room, so they appear more similar, avoids a dust-gathering shelf on the side without a pane, and improves sound insulation between the room and the passage.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Is it a house or a flat? If a house, are there more than two storeys? If a flat, is the door a lobby to the stair, without a separate lobby between the stairs and the flat entrance? If a flat is it above the first floor, or is the travel distance to the front door more than 9m?

If the answer to any of the above is yes, then the glazing and frame may need to be fire resisting.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Hi Hugo,

2 storey house.

Are there any requirements for glass thickness or toughened/laminated as some posters seem to think?

TIA

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Part N in England and Wales

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Mmm thanks but "Only relevant to Wales" it says!?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Don't believe they extend to fanlights tho? Hence the post...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I can see the need for 'special' glass where it can be bashed - but a fanlight? There's one above my front door which I'd guess is very old by the house number painted on it (which looks the same as some others in the street) so may even be Victorian, and that hasn't broken, despite many years of the door being slammed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd use as thick glass as possible to reduce noise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mmm thanks but "Only relevant to Wales" it says!?

and no mention of fanlights or domestic "over door" glass.

Phil L

Where's that stated?

You'd think there would be regs if it was that likely to happen....

Hence the post...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

son of a friend of mine suffered a burglary when access to the flat was gained by smashing the fanlight over the front door. Perhaps toughened or laminated glasss would have made access more difficult?

Reply to
charles

maybe but the one I'm on about is internal ("stud wall").....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Might well have done. Not that they seem to stop cars being broken into.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Consider a patterned glass to give some privacy in the room.

I have patterned acrylic sheet above two internal doors to let light into a stair well. I used the quadrant bead both sides to fix - no putty.

Reply to
alan

Not for glass more than 1500mm above the floor in doors or side panels (fan lights are clearly above this height).

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Part N has been subsumed into a revised Part K (IIRC, earlier this year or maybe even last year [as an old geezer, time, and the entropy of my back, are accelerating at an inverse relationship to my memory storage capacity]). Virtually the same guidance, though.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula