glass fibre wallpaper/lining

Hi guys,

maybe more of a translation question.

We've got walls in the kitchen with a not so smooth surface. An ideal way of covering it would be what we call in French "toile de verre", a kind of thick and tough possibly embossed wall paper, solid, durable, fire proof, that you can paint over, that would hide the defects and provide with a convenient washable surface.

I can't find the English word for it, and I'm not too sure whether they can be found easily in B&Q's. As I'm currently in France for a few days, I was wondering if it was worth bringing some back in my luggage.

So, my question is: how is it called in English? And can it be found in Edinburgh DIY or wall covering stores?

Many thanks in advance, Stephane.

Reply to
Stephane

the word your looking for is..."glass canvas", in English

Reply to
ben

Anaglipta(SP?) Is it still made? or alternatively woodchip. Then there are the blown vinyl types.

Reply to
<me9

"ben" wrote [...]

[...]

Thanks Ben,

I'm not too sure we're speaking of the same thing, google was not very helpful on "glass canvas". What I have in mind is really just like wallpaper. Except that instead of being made of wood fibre paper, it's made of glass fibre paper. It's sold in rolls just like wallpaper, except it is generally 1m wide instead of the 53cm more comonly found in wall papers.

Is it something one can find at B&Q/Wickes/Homebase?

Thanks, Stephane

Reply to
Stephane Chazelas

Gray's of George Street. According to news:ed.general they sell

*everything* that other shops don't :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I doubt you would find a supplier of that type in the UK and if you do it would probably very exspensive.

I translated the french wording here...

ben

That's just a literal translation, the generic term for this cladding is FRP, Glasbord is one of the trade names.

Reply to
Rob Morley

OK, scrap that - the OP is actually talking about a textile, not a composite panel.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I have seen this in France and elsewhere in Europe such as Sweden, but never in the UK.

I would bring some back..

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have never seen glass fibre wallpaper. However, I have seen 1m wide glass fibre geotextile, for putting under gravel in driveways. It could be used as a wallpaper I suppose, although it does not have a pattern as such, just a swirly random fibrous appearance. I bought some in Wickes, near the masonry and cement area.

I would have though anaglypta would be better for your purposes covers a multitude of sins, many attractive patterns.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

I believe the English for toile de verre is fibreglass. Fibreglass wallpaper is not available here - or at least I've never seen or heard of it.

The British equivalent is woodchip. This is 2 sheets of paper with bits of wood crumb between them, glued together. Its not very nice.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I've seen it in Sweden where it comes in a variety of patterns and textures and is quite popular. Highly durable and certainly better than woodchip or anaglypta. Typically it's then painted.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Google translation of a part of a document from www.ac- strasbourg.fr/sections/entreprises/marches_en_cours/travaux_de_mise_en_s/do wnloadFile/attachedFile...

3.3. Fabric of glass with painting Supports: - new Plasterboards - Characteristic plaster Connections: - decorative Fabric of glass (fibres) to paint identical to existing Description: - Reception of the supports and preparation - Supply and poses decorative fabric of glass to paint. Reason with the choice of the Project superintendent in the range suggested by the manufacturer - Classification with fire: M1 - Installation free in and out by joining according to indication of the manufacturer - Impression on all the supports - Implementation on fabric of glass of two coats of furnishing paint acrylic glossed completion. Colour with the choice of the Project superintendent - Included/understood all subjections of connections and perfect completion - Scaffolding - Cleaning Localization: - new Partitions staircases n° 1 and n° 3 - Sheath of smoke clearing staircase n° 1 - Partition 1st stage on vacuum of the ground floor - Room photocopies 1st stage (2 faces) - Stepping of circulations of 1st on the 5th floor - Circulation towards fire escape of 4th and 5th stages

Sounds a bit like the type of glass material that used to be used as curtains. Can't remember why that disappeared - health & safety? unwashability? ugliness?

Reply to
Rod

Rod wrote in news:Xns969EDA72258BBhjhjaskhkdhkdhdhdh@130.133.1.4:

Bad form following up one's own post - apologies. But I think that our antipodean friends may provide a fuller answer:

Rod

look for trhe words "tapet" (wallpaper) and "glasfiber"

Reply to
Andy Hall

It depends on what you are going to use it for. It can be very nice, or horrid.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

> or look for trhe words "tapet" (wallpaper) and "glasfiber"

Thanks everybody,

I eventually got some in a French store, as it doesn't look so common in Britain. Actually, I got one that prouded itself not to contain glass fibre, as there's a health hasard when you strip it off (tiny bits of sharp glass fibre, not so good for lungs and eyes).

Thanks again, Stephane

Reply to
Stephane Chazelas

"Stephane Chazelas" wrote in news:42e616f6$0$7835$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr:

But what is toile de verre without any verre? What do they use instead?

I was also concerned about the health issues - and surprised to see it so widely available (except here in the UK).

Reply to
Rod
2005-07-26, 17:10(+00), Rod: [...]

Well, that one's not called "toile de verre". "toile textilisée à peindre" (textile-type canvas to be painted). It's made of (in French) /polyester/, /celulose/, /résine/ and /charges/ (?).

It's not woven contrary to the /glass canvas/. Note that there's also "voil de verre" which is thinner and not woven (and flat).

Actually, I can't find anywhere where it's mentionned it's dangerous. Competitors may play with the fact that glass fibre wool is know to be dangerous. Actually, we've got bare glass wool in the building roof space. There's a dust of it flying all around the roof space and probably infiltrating through the holes in the ceiling. So a painted (3 times is recommanded which makes it expensive, especially when you consider you need a lot of special glue as well) glass canvas is nothing when compared to glass fibre wool.

regards, Stéphane

Reply to
Stephane CHAZELAS

Stephane CHAZELAS wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@spam.is.invalid: