Glass Fibre Roofing

Has anyone any expreience of this ?

I have a flat roof to re-cover and this looks a very interesting way to go. I would be grateful for any feedback, positive or negative.

Glenn

Reply to
glenn

"glenn" wrote in news:3f678236$0$246$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dial.pipex.com:

Glenn,

Our porch - which is on the North facing side of the house - has such a roof seemingly fitted by the previous owners. The porches on all the other houses in the area have fallen down, look awful or have been replaced. I did some extensive reconstruction a few years ago - but that was to repair damage that had obviously occurred prior to the glass fibre roof being installed. (That is, the installers must have failed to repair everything when fitting it.) The roofing itself must be around ten or more years old and is still in a pretty good state. I did find that a tiny area where it went up the wall had not been finished so well so that too needed some repair.

In summary, for us it is excellent. Being such a small area might help to avoid problems that would only occur on larger areas - so keep researching.

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

We have a glass fibre roof over our extension and a glass fibre roof on our sun lounge which is also our balcony floor.

Highly recommended compared to your average felt roof - no problems walking on it and so far (seven years or more) no signs of any problems with water leakage.

We live by the coast and there are loads of glass fibre boats, which seem to last pretty well. Couldn't envisage building a boat of roofing felt :-))

In summary, a bit more expensive but IMHO much more robust and likely to be much longer lasting.

HTH Dave R

P.S. be sure to employ a reputable roofing contractor - remind me to tell you the bird seed story some time :-)

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

In article , glenn writes

Just had a big one done. It's good - but I had to go to a lot of trouble to get the company to make good some shoddy work at a corner, which would have leaked. I recommend the method - but as usual you have to ensure work is done well. Tip: don't pay *anything* until completely satisfied - that at least gives you some leverage.

Reply to
Chris

I fibreglassed my flat-roofed extension six or seven years ago - no problems since. I bought the stuff from Glasplies in Southport and did it myself.

I just used plywood, sealed with resin, covered with matting and more resin, followed by tissue and more resin and finally coated with a coloured (grey) resin containing wax.

At the time I was told that the colour helps prevent UV damage and the wax is necessary to get a non-tacky finish, as the surface won't set properly in the presence of air (the wax rises to the surface and gives an airtight seal).

It cost me 200 odd quid to do a 19' x 9' roof, but it is a horribly messy and uncomfortable job!

Steve W

Reply to
Steve Walker