glass "balustrade"

Mate of mine building a deck - I suggested he might conisder having a glass panelled "balustrade" around the edge with the view...

anyone got experiences of this sort of thing? ISTR someone on here did some stairs??

Seems straightforward and glass is (usually) cheap ?

It's got to be toughened (or laminated?) & how thick? panel would be abt 5ft X 3ft say - mounted between two meaty posts left and right and between a base rail and handrail below and above respec.

I recall seeing stainless clamp fittings to mount/hold the glass in situ - any other options?

Can "any" glass supplier do the glass supply bit ? or is that the bit where "profit" rears it's head?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I'd lean towards laminated, toughened doesn't like getting scratched, as it creates stress point(s) that can then cause the whole panel to almost explosively fail. Toughend is used in doors and windows so if someone does fall through, it shatters into lot's of relatively harmless tiny bits. Laminated will crack and hold together but might break the head impacting it...

There maybe regulations that govern what such a panel should be.

Any kids about playing football or cricket?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have a look here for all the bits;

glass supplier can do the panels & advise on type.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"Edge with a view" suggests a drop down the other side - and there are plenty of properties around here where a 5-6m drop the other side of the garden wall isn't unusual. If that's the case, my vote would be for the sort of glass that doesn't break into 10,000 pieces when the dog tries to chase after a low-flying bird.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I certainly got 4 or 5 or 6mm glass done for a custom shower

Its no big deal has to be done specially because of annealing/toughening process.

Firtings all available - get glass predrilled obviously

Ask at local glass merchants.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I believe the kind I've seen for this application don't need holes in the glass, they just clamp onto the edge of the glass.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

no but seems laminated is the way - thanks.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

makes sense ;>) ta

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

If the edge is above a slope, then some of the hawk profile stickers they use on tall buildings may be a way to help stop birds flying into it. They may also warn any domestic animals that it isn't a good idea to run that way. I've heard of a Staffie running straight through some laminated glass French Doors without stopping, and if there's a steep slope on the other side...

Reply to
John Williamson

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

Reply to
fred

glass, they just clamp onto the edge of the glass.

fair enough. I used brackets and bolts on mine. The holes ere not hugely expensive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The border wouldn't be able to run through my shower even at full tilt. The glass is massive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

glass, they just clamp onto the edge of the glass.

Why not just use a router to make a channel in the uprights then slot the glass in from above, no brackets required.

Reply to
pcb1962

The timber will move with humidty, the glass won't... If you left a big enough gap to cope with the timber movement the panels would rattle with out some form of compressable packing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Silicone works well for that

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not used them yet, they have sent me several priced catalogues and the prices are much better than Pipe Center.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes. Cheap.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

glass, they just clamp onto the edge of the glass.

Drilling laminated (in the factory) is no big deal, if you include it in the order.

You can also cut and drill toughened glass afterwards (waterjet), but it's not cheap

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There is one in a shopping centre near here and it apparently sees nore attempted suicides than anywhare else bar the local railway platform.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks Dave, I'll fire off a catalogue request.

Reply to
fred