Gland dramas

Hi all

Just went out to fit the outside electrics and discovered that the box I bo ught has 25mm holes and I have 20mm glands!!! Anyone have a cunning workaro und to save me going out for some replacements? I can source a smaller ip55 box from toolstation with 20mm glands but the front cover clips on rather than the one I have screws on - which I prefer given the amount of wiring g oing in it.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

Drill 20mm holes in other places if there is room?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Unfortunately no room for new holes. Also should have mentioned that the bo x comes with those push in rubber seals which you cut to suit the diameter of the cable so can't drill hole in the blanking bits either. Could of cour se forget about the glands and use these seals but they don't seem as good as the glands?

Reply to
leenowell

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk escribió:

That's what they do on the continent, but it does tend to be a bit wetter in Blighty.

I'd go out and get the 25mm glands. Any electrical wholesaler will have them.

I've got a similar job to do - a couple cables to run into a box with glands, for security lights. I have all the bits, it's just been finding a round tuit.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Cut a 20mmm hole in those rubber seals and use the grommets? Buy a LOT of silicone sealer?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What kind of cable are you planning on terminating? If its SWA then you don't really have any option but to use the proper termination glands, so getting a different box would seem simplest.

Reply to
John Rumm

Would need a fair amount of silicone :). I did think of cutting the rubber seals to 20mm too but the cable is Hi-tuff so relatively rigid so thought i t would be difficult to get it in square and stay there. Did thing I could silicone a piece of perspex over the holes and recut.

Changing the box would seem simplest but I couldn't see a replacement in sc rewfix and toolstation (easy to get to) which was big enough and had the fr ont screwed on. Given the rigidity of the cable I may be able to get away w ith the clip on front one I guess. Mmm

Reply to
leenowell

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk escribió:

If you like the box, why don't you just get the right glands?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

bought has 25mm holes and I have 20mm glands!!! Anyone have a cunning worka round to save me going out for some replacements? I can source a smaller ip

55 box from toolstation with 20mm glands but the front cover clips on rathe r than the one I have screws on - which I prefer given the amount of wiring going in it.

huge washer. Easier to get the glands though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You'd need one each side. And hope the thread in the gland is long enough for them.

Is there a 25mm gland which will clamp up small enough for the cable?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The washer idea I think would work but would also require rubber washer the sameish size and the one inside. So don't think the thread is long enough (and I don't have the washers).

Originally going out for parts was a pain as I wanted to get it done today but now spent the time doing other bits so will go out tomorrow. New glands seem to be the easiest (although they are expensive in toolstation and scr ewfix) but I too was concerned about whether the biggest gland will be ok f or my cable. Outside diameter is about 10mm. Will standard 25mm glands work ?

Thanks for all your ideas/ advice.

Lee

Reply to
leenowell

What you expect a way to unhole the box?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Just been out and bought the new glands. Apparently they will work ok with the 1.5mm Hi-tuff but will need to be tightened very hard. Oddly with these ones there isn't a rubber washer to seal against the box itself as it was with the 20mm ones I bought. They are ip68 so assume this is normal?

Reply to
leenowell