SWMBO bought daughter a pair of GHD hand held hair straighteners in
August 2,002, from her freindly local hair stylists.
Just last week they went sparkle, sparkle, flash - poof *Bang*
It seems the insulation on the mains cable had weakened (cracked
open), at the point where the tapered strain relief grommet finishes,
exposing live conductors. So I made a repair by removing the bad
section, joining the severed ends by soldering and protecting the
joint with heat shrink sleeving, and thence by self amalgamating tape,
and finally by a big diameter heatshrink overall.
I was happy just to do a repair 'till my daughter said that several of
her friends had the same experience and on checking I found heard that
GHD had had a *bad batch*
of hair straighteners. See Watchdog page :
Unfortunately on calling the freephone number I was told that the only
"bad batch" they were prepared to acknowledge was in September 2,002.
and since mine was bought in August this did not apply. They asked for
the batch number from off the appliance but no such number existed. I
was a bit miffed because despite being both unreliable and dangerous
the straighteners cost an unbelievable (considering the quality) 95
I noticed that the mains lead did not comply with the standard
European colour code since the cores were black and white, therefore
presumably US standard although the mains plug was wired with the
white to the live (fused) pin unlike the normal US convention (Plain
white neutrals). Also the unit does not appear to be CE marked. I
believe an item like this should have a technical construction file or
somesuch which shows how compliance with European safety standards has
been achieved. Can I insist on seeing this?
Just in case I have to get heavy over this, am I also correct in
thinking that it is against the law to sell an electrical appliance
with an incorrectly colour coded mains lead as is the absence of the
CE mark, and does the panel agree that the alleged response of
"Trading Standards" mentioned on the BBC website, to a fault which
results in exposed live conductors at the end of the mains lead close
to where it is held in the hand is rather inadequate?