Gey water disposal

Google strongly suggests that grey water (e.g. from a wash basin in the workshop/shed) cannot be routed to a soakaway, but must go to main drainage or a septic tank.

Haven't checked the fall to the existing drains yet, but I have the sinking feeling that my only option is likely to be a macerator/pump. And that the route will go smack through the area that BC will specify for the soakaway for the rainwater off the back of the house. Unless of course they agree that we can't get the required 5m from all existing buildings and so can continue to discharge the rainwater into the foul water drains.

My original thoughts were to put in mains drainage to the Mother of All Sheds if the fall was O.K., or just run in mains water for a wash basing and drain that to a soakaway.

Looks like the second option may be a non-starter unless someone knows different.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

The outlet of all washing machines is pumped anyway. My dishwasher claims it can pump out to a few metres height, but it does have a built-in non-return valve on the waste, which may be slightly unusual.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Presumably that is so you can have a washing machine in a basement below the normal level of the drains?

I think you can also get sumps with pumps to allow the same sort of setup for basins and showers in a basement.

I don't know how these compare in cost to macerators - don't like the things but the ability to put a bog in the shed might marginally increase the value as a potential home office. It would also avoid clomping through the main living area in gardening or DIY kit to get to the in-house bog. Not vital, but worth doing if possible while the whole drainage system is being reworked.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I've always considered water to have no role or interest in sexual orientation.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That might be fey water, shirley? Gey water is something I'd expect to find in Scotland.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The Scottish Parliament is talking about legalising mixer taps

Owain

Reply to
Owain