Getting under the kitchen floor?

I need to get under my kitchen floor to move a water pipe. I was under the impression that the floor would be chipboard over joists. However, the small section i have uncovered, is light grey in colour (looks more like concrete/cement) although when tapping it, sounds hollow. Can anyone suggest what this material might be and how to cut it? The house was built in 1981.

Not sure if it is relevent, but the kitchin is apparently over a large void space (we are on the side of a hill).

Many thanks

Reply to
petesouthwest

Beam and block?

Reply to
normanwisdom

Chipboard covered in glue/cement for lino / tiles?

Reply to
AJ

Hi

I dont think if beam and block is like this

can be. I can dig a screwdriver into and it seems more fiberous than crumbly, and jumping on the floor causes a lot of vibration in the room.

Reply to
petesouthwest

I dont think it looks like glue, it looks prefabricated. If its cement what is the best way of cutting it? BTW dol beam detectors work on flooring like this or only plasterboard?

Reply to
petesouthwest

Screed. A dryish sand/cement mix and pretty easy to smash up

Could be block and beam concrete under the screed then.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Block and beam is quite flexible.

And its normal to screed over.