Getting toilet seat off?

Hi,

I'm having some trouble trying to get an old toilet seat off the toilet. wing nut just won't budge on either side its very rusted looking but not fragile enough to break. Tried wome WD40 but no just.

Any ideas would be welcomed on how to get it off?

Cheers

Reply to
souls

Can't you get a hacksaw to the corroded bits?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Hi David,

Ahhh I could give that a try.

Cheers

Reply to
souls

But I bet the hinge mounts will if supplied with enough force. This make hacksawing off the heads that were in them much easier as a) you have a bit projecting above the (delicate) enamel b) you have easy access.

Why use a Water Displacer when you should be using a penetrating/easing oil like Plusgas or similar?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

| On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:05:46 +0100, souls wrote: | | > wing nut just won't budge on either side its very rusted looking but | > not fragile enough to break. | | But I bet the hinge mounts will if supplied with enough force. This | make hacksawing off the heads that were in them much easier as a) you | have a bit projecting above the (delicate) enamel b) you have easy | access. | | > Tried wome WD40 but no just. | | Why use a Water Displacer when you should be using a | penetrating/easing oil like Plusgas or similar?

WD40 contains a penetrating oil, try spraying it on your hand or indeed anything.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Managed to cut it off sucessfully bit a fidly job for my clumsy hands.

Admitedly I'm not an expert on diy matters and hae always used wd40 when trying to losen a bolt, usually does the job or trying to tighten it and then losen it works sometimes. I'll have a look into using easing oil next time, which hopefully won't be too soon :-)

Cheers

Reply to
souls

normally have to cut the bolts free. try on of those little hand held things that hold a hacksaw blade, works for me.

Kev

Reply to
kevin foote

WD40 isn't a releasing agent. Try Plus-Gas or equivalent.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Go to your local car accessory shop and ask for a nut splitter. That should do the job.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It has a light volatile oil I grant that but as a penetrating and easing oil is no where near as effective as Plusgas.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

WD40 is not, never has been and never will be anything beyond a marginally passable penetrating fluid. On non rusted components it might work, on anything else forget it and use a proper penetrating fluid, not a water dispersant.

Reply to
Matt

WD means that it is a water dispersent. This originates from the armed forces and they used the letter G followed by (usually) a three figure number, to determine what different greases were. Oils were determined by the use of a letter O followed by numbers.

There have been several water dispersants, depending on what/why they were used.

Alas, I do not have my Shell reference book of equivalent oils/greases etc any more.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

IME WD40 is okay for mildly seized components, but PlusGas can shift stuff that you might otherwise give up on.

Reply to
Rob Morley

If he can get it in there - IME access can be a problem with these fixings.

Reply to
Rob Morley

| On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:32:40 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote: | | > WD40 contains a penetrating oil, try spraying it on your hand or | > indeed anything. | | It has a light volatile oil I grant that but as a penetrating and | easing oil is no where near as effective as Plusgas.

I thought Plusgas had gone off the market, haven't seen it for years.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Bob Eager

Bought some in a DIY/Hardware/Builders Merchant about 4 months ago...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice